Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Very Cool

But I wouldn't exactly call Jeff's bike "fully rigid" there's something going on there ;)
No armor, no full faced helmet...just a lot of hair, flair and a big smile. :D
You gotta love this guy.
Jefe'

·
climb
2,293 Posts
look here www.somba.org

DH results, looks like Jeff's piloting skills are better than his engine :)... Anyway congrats!

1 114 Lev Stryker 05:02.37
2 208 Matt Snyder 05:08.27
3 4592 Jeff Jones 05:18.74
4 961 Jon Martin 05:33.28
5 120 Kevin Watt 05:42.38
6 962 Kahlil D. Perez 05:45.40
7 322 Dave Richards 05:55.26
8 963 Sean David 05:55.65
9 215 Colby Dins 06:00.43
10 127 Dave Patterson 06:07.68
11 202 Todd Sokol 06:24.72
12 319 Eric Dickerson 06:36.32
13 200 Russell Holtsberg 07:29.00

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Is that the same gap jump in both pics??

I am impressed.
I have seen pics of Jeff and what he does on his bikes on his site. I was interested in his frames right up until I saw the price. They are art and a bike at the same time. A little(who am I kidding) alot out of my price range.
That beard is just too much. Wow.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
so....

...who's gonna post this on the DH forum???

I recall it got ugly last time someone mentioned 29" wheels over in those parts.
well.... you did bring it up......

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
teamdicky said:
I am impressed.
I have seen pics of Jeff and what he does on his bikes on his site. I was interested in his frames right up until I saw the price. They are art and a bike at the same time. A little(who am I kidding) alot out of my price range.
That beard is just too much. Wow.
Yep, same gap. The second is just there for reference (hence the baby wheel content)

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Found this and thought it might be of interest.

Jeff Jones placed third in 30+ Expert category DH. On a fully rigid 29'er.
If those pics are representative of the entire course, the 29er would be the way to go.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
After much research (yeah, right. about 2 seconds of cheese-sauce in my brain), I have come to the conclusion that Jeff's beard helps to give him loft and float while airborn. It also helps to obscure the sh!t eating grin on his face as he pilots one of the most amazing bikes around. If people saw him grinning, his 2 year wait would become 5. ;)
Okay, on to some other research...

OGG

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Jones's bike is NOT rigid. the whole point of his design is to rely on the inherent elasticity of Titanium. it flexes in ways that are pre-planned and intentional, to absorb the same stuff that a mechanical hydraulic, coil or air damper would absorb.

I'd have to believe that this particular race required a lot of pedaling and is not primarily a gravity course. anyone have any details on that?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
He made up 1 minute by not compressing an 8" travel, 10-pund fork. His forks is....*drums*....640g, well under 1.5lb.
Nah, Jeff probably scored that podium on merit. That's defiately the same gap, check the branch on the side. We definately need video footage of that race.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,211 Posts
Even more amazing

While Jeff's accomplishment here is awesome and inspiring, czech this out.....

This racer is blind.
Same course. The rider trailing behind him is his spotter, his "eyes".

Wild, eh??!!???

Attachments

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Are you sure the spotter is behind? The first guy looks like he landed better and in the last shot is actually looking back...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.