Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! I've saved up some money to buy me a new bike. I have an XC HT right now that i'm very happy with but i've been itching for a new ride. Here are some some info about my situation...

1) budget - around U.S.$1500-$2000, the cheaper, the better...;)
2) type of bike/s - Im considering a 29'er HT or a AM FS, i've never owned either
3) purpose - general trail-riding
4) FS or HT preference - none, i just want something new
5) rider info - age: 35 height: 5'8 weight: 170 lbs. recreational/fitness rider

others:

-will be buying from local bike shops
-am open to any suggestions that does not follow 1-5

·
Registered
876 Posts
A bit more info would be helpful

What kind of riding/trails? It sounds like you're looking at the "trail" end of the FS spectrum, which some will call AM, some won't. Basically 5" travel bikes that climb well, descend okay but not like a slack 6" burly beast.

5" FS and HT 29ers seem to be becoming the two bikes that general trail riders are gravitating towards. I have no experience with a 29er, the main advantage touted is the big wheels roll great once momentum is established.

I have a 5" travel trail bike and love it. The FS helps me in tech climbs, and I love the way the rear suspension helps me over obstacles.

Here are a few suggestions, with the caveat that you haven't really said a lot of specifics about your particular riding needs:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x3/3897/37062/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47727&eid=4344&menuItemId=9249

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45809&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/5730/36261/

HTH, David B.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Depending on what you ride and where you ride, the two styles of bikes may not be too interchangeable. The big wheels certainly do have affect stability and rolling over rough stuff, but most 29er hardtails are designed with XC geometry.

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not being able to describe what type of trails i ride. Im just relatively new to trail-riding (used to be a roadie) & i try to ride all types of terrain just as long as they do not involve crazy jumps & drops.

For FS, can say that having more than 5" of travel is overkill for my style of riding so anything under that & climbs well would be adequate. Im kinda interested with Giant's Anthem & Trance, Fuji's Reveal & Outland.

For 29'ers, im really intrigued by them. At 1st, i find them too big but as i keep on seeing them & had the chance to ride 1, my interest in them grew more. Im currently eyeing a Fuji Tahoe SL & a Haro Mary XC from my local bike shops.

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
best of both worlds-http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=93
This is what I'm after, too damm expensive for me right now):

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
nordstern1 said:
hey guys! I've saved up some money to buy me a new bike. I have an XC HT right now that i'm very happy with but i've been itching for a new ride. Here are some some info about my situation...

1) budget - around U.S.$1500-$2000, the cheaper, the better...;)
2) type of bike/s - Im considering a 29'er HT or a AM FS, i've never owned either
3) purpose - general trail-riding
4) FS or HT preference - none, i just want something new
5) rider info - age: 35 height: 5'8 weight: 170 lbs. recreational/fitness rider

others:

-will be buying from local bike shops
-am open to any suggestions that does not follow 1-5
1) 29'er
2) n/a
3) tie- both are fun, but could go either way depending on preferences, which are worth 2 points
4) n/a
5) tie- '5'8' -fs, 'fitness'- 29'er

total - 1 fs, 2 29'er

Looks like you should get a 29'er because of your budget.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you already have a hardtail I would say go with a full suspension bike. Then you will have one of both and can pick the bike to fit the ride with more options than you would have with 2 hardtails. Then later on either trade the hardtail you have for a bigger one or add a bigger hardtail to the mix. Right now I have a 3" travel xc hardtail and a 5" full suspension. I really prefer the full suspension because it is more comfortable, more forgiving, can handle bigger stuff, and actually weighs the same as my 3" bike. I will some day get rid of the 3" bike in lieu of a 5" hardtail but I want a nice road bike first.

·
Registered
876 Posts
scottzg said:
1) 29'er
2) n/a
3) tie- both are fun, but could go either way depending on preferences, which are worth 2 points
4) n/a
5) tie- '5'8' -fs, 'fitness'- 29'er

total - 1 fs, 2 29'er

Looks like you should get a 29'er because of your budget.
I'm not sure why you would give the 29er the 'fitness' nod. Care to explain?

David B.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
someone who describes themselves as a 'recreational/fitness rider' is more likely hitting swoopy singletrack and fire roads where a 29'er excels.

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gdpolk said:
If you already have a hardtail I would say go with a full suspension bike. Then you will have one of both and can pick the bike to fit the ride with more options than you would have with 2 hardtails. Then later on either trade the hardtail you have for a bigger one or add a bigger hardtail to the mix. Right now I have a 3" travel xc hardtail and a 5" full suspension. I really prefer the full suspension because it is more comfortable, more forgiving, can handle bigger stuff, and actually weighs the same as my 3" bike. I will some day get rid of the 3" bike in lieu of a 5" hardtail but I want a nice road bike first.
Reasonable advice but i dont think i could part with my HT...its a keeper. I'd probably go with either a 4" XC or 5" trail/AM rig.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scottzg said:
someone who describes themselves as a 'recreational/fitness rider' is more likely hitting swoopy singletrack and fire roads where a 29'er excels.
Youre right with the singletrack & fire roads. I like riding swoopy singletracks but i feel my 26" HT is more than adequate for the job. I havent tried a 29'er on the same conditions though.

The reason why i'm considering an AM rig is for more technical terrain which i recently am enjoying. I also considered a 29'er because i've read they also are good at rolling over obstacles & are very stable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
scottzg said:
Ah, okay, now I see. I thought you were saying that 29ers were somehow intrinsically better for getting/maintaining fitness.

Now of course I note below your response that the OP is saying he is recently hitting and enjoying more technical terrain, hence his desire to get a new bike, either FS or HT 29er.

OP, I think you need to try to demo both styles on this new tech terrain. Some bike shops even offer free trail demos, many have pay to play style demos (more of a bike rental really).

David B.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nordstern, I'm struggling with the same issue.

After 13yrs of full squish, I recently rode a mile of trail on a buddies 29er and came away impressed with how well it rolled over the (neverending) rocks. It was responsive in ways that my current 120mm travel FS 26er just can't be. It took me back to the early days of mtn biking in the early and mid 80s. It was alot of fun.

That said, I'm not sure I'd feel that excited about after 3 hrs in the rocks. Nothing really valueable to add, just saying that I'm struggling through it as well..........

·
Registered
347 Posts
Check your local dealers for their dirt demo's: both Specialized and Giant offer them. After a test your answer should be made and I bet you move your budget up a bit as well. You can easily have a Anthem X3 or XTC29r 1. From Specialized it is tougher to get to $2K. Stumpy 29 comp, FSR XC Pro. Best bet might be to find an outgoing '09 or leftover '08 too.

Good Luck,

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you are going full suspension find the best rear suspension setup; I went from a 2007 Cannondale Rush 5 with what I think is called single pivot to the 2009 Mongoose freedrive system and the performance gain was noticeable. If I had the same drivetrain on each the Cannondale Rush and the Mongoose Teocali the Teocali would win out. The freedrive made me think so I let someone else ride both and they said that the Teocali was better too.

Attachments

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tuckaloe said:
Nordstern, I'm struggling with the same issue.

After 13yrs of full squish, I recently rode a mile of trail on a buddies 29er and came away impressed with how well it rolled over the (neverending) rocks. It was responsive in ways that my current 120mm travel FS 26er just can't be. It took me back to the early days of mtn biking in the early and mid 80s. It was alot of fun.

That said, I'm not sure I'd feel that excited about after 3 hrs in the rocks. Nothing really valueable to add, just saying that I'm struggling through it as well..........
Thanks for sharing tuckaloe but i our situations are not even similar since i havent owned either FS & 29'er & dont have any significant saddle time on both.

3 hrs on an HT & on really a rough, rocky trail...yeah, thats gonna beat you up pretty bad. Maybe what you need is a 29'er FS. just saying...;)

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack'sDad said:
Check your local dealers for their dirt demo's: both Specialized and Giant offer them. After a test your answer should be made and I bet you move your budget up a bit as well. You can easily have a Anthem X3 or XTC29r 1. From Specialized it is tougher to get to $2K. Stumpy 29 comp, FSR XC Pro. Best bet might be to find an outgoing '09 or leftover '08 too.

Good Luck,

Rob
Thanks Rob!

Im actually considering the Anthem X2 & Trance X2 which are both within my budget. The XTC29r is not yet widely available from where im from at the moment.

Im not too crazy with Specialized...not sure why.:confused:

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
managedenemy said:
If you are going full suspension find the best rear suspension setup; I went from a 2007 Cannondale Rush 5 with what I think is called single pivot to the 2009 Mongoose freedrive system and the performance gain was noticeable. If I had the same drivetrain on each the Cannondale Rush and the Mongoose Teocali the Teocali would win out. The freedrive made me think so I let someone else ride both and they said that the Teocali was better too.
nice! I'll check it out.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.