Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5 10" and 200lb I was decided on getting a new FS 26er but started reading on this site about the 29ers...:madman: SO now I am thinking about it too much honestly...

For those who have both or have ridden both for and all mountain bike which is better?

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Well, to be honest I've never ridden a 29er, here's a short list of Pros and Cons of 29ers...

Pros
Roll over stuff easy
Look cool
More forgiving

Cons
$
Limited parts variety
$

I personally like this Trek ss hardtail 69er. The most important wheel to be 29 inch is the front, as the rear is just following along and the front actually has to hit and roll over stuff first.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
"better" is not applicable. for a given type of ride for a given type of rider, one may be better.......but for that same type of rider on a different type of ride, the other may be better --> solution is to have more than 1 bike of course :)

·
Banned
29 Posts
"better" is not applicable is ghey
for a given type of ride for a given type of rider, one may be better... is ghey
but for that same type of rider on a different type of ride, the other may be better --> is ghey
this whole post is ghey

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
I'd suggest whichever bike fits you better. I'm also 5'10" and with 26" tires and a frame that fits me I have a tough time straddling the bike without "the boys" being uncomfortably close to the top tube. I'd hate to slip off the pedals and not being able to reach the ground....

Both tires being 29" is pretty important as it gives more ground clearance under the crank gears. If you find that you're smacking your gears on obstacles you may prefer a taller tire. A change in riding style can also correct this problem, and it doesn't cost more.... Replacing the big gear with a basher ring will also help if you never use that gear anyhow.

Quite frankly- I believe the 29" tires are great for taller riders, but not necessary for the rest of us. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor on what bike you buy. Most likely you could spend the same amount of money on a much better bike with 26" tires!

·
Registered
41 Posts
guinness said:
"better" is not applicable is ghey
for a given type of ride for a given type of rider, one may be better... is ghey
but for that same type of rider on a different type of ride, the other may be better --> is ghey
this whole post is ghey
What, on God's green Earth, are you trying to communicate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.