Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im fairly new to mountain biking, i have been doing this sence 2005 and have never really been that serious, the last few races of 2008 in the psycowpath series i took 1st on the podium all 3 times. im planning to stay in junior this year but also race unofficially in "sport." so my big question is what is the best bike i can get for the buck? my dad is willing to spend up too $1,500. and i want a good competive XC racing bike. we were looking at the "Felt nine comp." and the "specialized rockhopper pro" which 1 would be the best deal? any other bikes come to mind? open 4 suggestions
~thanx~

·
Administrator
11,966 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
Have your dad buy you this bike. Don't ride until your homework is done.
yes I saw that bike yesterday and it is a really nice looking bike. Well speced and fisher geo #'s. Best advice though is to test ride all the bikes you are interested in and pick the one that you are most comfortable on.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
around here you're going to get a VERY bias opinion... ride as many as you can in/under your price point and see what you like... that being said the fisher looks sweet

every person i've put on my 29er (rigid no less) is amazed at how it rolls over roots and stuff... which we have a lot of at least for FL...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well thanx for the garry fisher.... dont think ill be able to get my Dad to pay for it .. he was talking $1,500 max price...
so do ppl like the 29 for racing better than the 26-ers? and do the 29's do okay in techincal areas??? just want some info on them
many thanx

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i put a friend of mine on one of my rigid 29ers and he was amazed at how it just rolled over roots and such... things he had problems with on his hard tail 26er...

but in reality it all depends on exactly what/where you are riding and what YOU like... if you're a 90lb 5'3 guy then a 29er prob isn't for you... but you don't tell us anything about yourself (I understand this is the interweb and you're a kid so you may be hesitant)

but yes there are 29ers all over racing and winning races...

our local serious racers race with light weight FS 26ers... and they do well throughout the southeast with em

try to get some rides out on the trail with the bikes you are looking at... also ask about discounts... you might be supprised at what a shop might do... could talk to them about a sponsorship deal... you roll in the shop's jersey or something like that in trade for a good cut on the price of the bike.

good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im a 5 foot 7inch 130lbs freshman..
i want to be very competive and i have been winning all the races in my catagory and am planning on going to nationals this year in Colorado
i just want a bike that will give me a little more edge than the
Canondale F-600 i have right now

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
The deal...

29 vs. 26 is like FS vs HT so we could write a book on that alone. But here's my take...

Your Cannondale is probably a pretty decent bike. At least the frame.

At your size and weight take 1/3 of that $1500 and build up a nice Chris King rear hub on a super light rim. Stan's No-tube the rim and put a regular 2.0 Kenda Karma on it.

Win race.

As the season goes on ride as many bikes as you can. Test ride plenty of other rider's bikes at the finish line.

Save your money through the season.

Near the end of the season, you will have saved more money, get the year end blowout deals, and have a much better idea of what you'll want to ride.

When the 26" rear rim dies you'll be able to take the King hub and build it up onto another rim, a 29" perhaps.

You'll then have two rear wheels. One set up as a superlight race wheel when you have the need for speed, and another as an everyday, trail beater.

Some other thoughts. At your size and weight probably a very lightweight, tricked out 26" FS would be the fastest on most xc courses. But with your budget a tricked out FS bike ain't happening. A 26" HT is good for xc racing but is much less fun for everyday riding compared to a 29" HT. If I had the cash, was serious about racing, and had only one bike, I'd get a 29" HT. Something like a carbon fiber GF. With a tighter budget I'd get a good spec aluminum 29" HT.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
in that case... talk to the shop (I assume they're doing a lot of the work on it?)... if you have a good shop they can point you in the right direction for whats good localy... and give you some tips on some basic maintenance for your bike (not that you couldn't find out here)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok well i am thinking on goining a mountain bike team, its called bike masters
they have the brands
Felt
Giant
Marrin
and Harro thats about all the brands they have... any good bikes in the $1,500 pricerange? well plz comment!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
dcompton94 said:
ok well thanx for the garry fisher.... dont think ill be able to get my Dad to pay for it .. he was talking $1,500 max price...
so do ppl like the 29 for racing better than the 26-ers? and do the 29's do okay in techincal areas??? just want some info on them
many thanx
Well, that's the MSRP $1759.99. You ought to be able to talk to a Trek dealer in the Omaha area and get a price that comes in under the MSRP.

In terms of 29"er for racing. The sport and expert classes in the Psycowpath series are filled with 29"ers. We all seem to be able to do just fine and dandy in any of the technical areas.

A few Psycowpath regulars on their 29"ers...

This is me at Lake Manawa...

Biker Chick at Tranquility....

Me again at Tranquility...

Me at Ponca at the State Championships...

Matt Gersib on his way to 3rd place in Expert at Swanson... (Matt proudly rides for Salsa)

And just a bunch of Tom Winfield's excellent shots. Go to his website and study the pictures of all the Psycowpath Races. You will see oodles of 29"ers. I think the Psycowpath series has the hightest ratio of big wheeled race bikes of all the series I have raced in the past couple of years (Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin). Wisconsin is probably a close second.

You get the idea...

BB

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
dcompton94 said:
ok well i am thinking on goining a mountain bike team, its called bike masters
they have the brands
Felt
Giant
Marrin
and Harro thats about all the brands they have... any good bikes in the $1,500 pricerange? well plz comment!
Lots of guys on the Bike Masters team riding 29"ers. Somebody ought to be able to hook you up with a good deal. Heck, they gave away a 29"er at one of the races this year.

Don't rule out excellent race bike frames from Salsa and Niner, either. Bike Masters also carries Niner, Surly, Independent Fabrication and Merlin. I'm sure they could build you up a nice race bike based on the Niner E.M.D. frame (frame MSRP's for $499). Talk to them to see if they could come up with a build for you based on that frame for $1500.

Dang, I could do it on the internet right now.

2008 Reba and Tora's on sale for $250 - $269 at Speedgoat.
Niner EMD frame for $499.
Entry level race new wheelset at eBay for $139.
New Truvativ Isoflow triple crankset and BB from the Goat for $42.
Avid BB7's and FR5 levers for $100.
New SRAM cassette and chain at $45 for the pair.
New pair of Nanoraptors from the Goat on sale for $78.
New pair of tubes for $6.
New pair of Wellgo pedals on sale at the Goat for $30.
New pair of Oury grips for $9.
New FSA or Profile Design stem for $15.
New Ritchey Logic Headset for $16
New Ritchey Comp Flat bar for $14
Jagwire Ripcord Derailleur Kit for $24
Jagwire Ripcord Brake Kit for $24
SRAM X.5 front and rear derailleurs and shifters for $31/47/55 = $133
Kalloy seatpost for $15
WTB ProGel saddle for $32
Salsa Lip Lock Seatpost clamp for $20

Total = $1486

Of course, an OEM build such as the Fisher pictured above will spec some better parts and makes it more worth the coin. But I'm sure Bike Masters could come up with a build for you that meets your budget.

BB

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you are winning on your F600 frame, then I would do what the one dude said - build yourself a nice Stans ztr355 laced to chris king wheels and some racing ralph tires and you are good to go.

No need to change everything. You are used to riding the cannondale so stay with it and upgrade the wheels.

What year is your cannondale?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.