Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit :confused: and can't make up my mind about the chainrings on my future racing/training marathon rig.
I'll be using: Stumpjumper 29er marathon, X.9 Med. cage RD, XTR FD, SLX Crank and M770 11-34 Cassette (Would put on 12-27t Ultegra but my hub won't like - Hope Pro 2).

Currently running 1x9 on my 26er (11-34 / 33t) and I find it a bit too hard on longer rides when I have to climb, and of course on long decents.

So I'd like to go 2x9 on my future 29er. Checked Sheldon's gear ratio calc to compare my current one, made sh*t loads of Excel tables...nothing seems right !

Looking for your help - what did/would you choose ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im running a standard 3X9 with a 36 tooth cassette, 22,32,44 chainrings. I use the 44 on the way to the trails. Offroad I use the 32 for everything. The only time that Ive needed the granny gear was on a enduro that I did that had hills that went forever.

Ive decided against going to 2X9 because it would mean having to change on the front derailleur while off road. The 32 ring is perfect for the riding that I do and my bike pedals nicely in the 32 ring.

Get the 29er and ride it for a while with a triple on the front. You may find the 32 ring to be just right.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
shahardot said:
I'm a bit :confused: and can't make up my mind about the chainrings on my future racing/training marathon rig.
I'll be using: Stumpjumper 29er marathon, X.9 Med. cage RD, XTR FD, SLX Crank and M770 11-34 Cassette (Would put on 12-27t Ultegra but my hub won't like - Hope Pro 2).

Currently running 1x9 on my 26er (11-34 / 33t) and I find it a bit too hard on longer rides when I have to climb, and of course on long decents.

So I'd like to go 2x9 on my future 29er. Checked Sheldon's gear ratio calc to compare my current one, made sh*t loads of Excel tables...nothing seems right !

Looking for your help - what did/would you choose ?

Thanks !
The 6500 cassette has alloy carriers, but there are other reasons not to use it on a mtb.

Since you did spend the time with gear charts, I do not see that we could make suggestions you have not already checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts