Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta buy one. I know I love what I have but I have ADD. Since you guys led me right to get the DT and Endo which one? Looking at the Evolve, Tallboy and 429 but open to any recs including HT. Will use it for mostly XC

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Those are all nice bikes. But if I were in the market I would get a Nicolai. Check out some of Whafe's posts over on the forums. He is on his second 29'r from Nicolai. He is really pushing the limit, The current build is more FR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=678646

But the original 29'r is more XC/AM oriented.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=633919

and check out this thread for the buildup:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=567210

Until Knolly makes a 29 inch bike, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better frame if 29 is what you want.

If you cannot afford the Nicolai, and do not mind oversees construction, I would go with the Banshee Prime. It is just now about ready check out the blog March 10th:
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com/2011/03/banshee-prime_10.html

The only downside is that the Banshee is not really an XC bike. But if you want a race bike, why not just get a hardtail.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If I were in the market for an XC oriented 29er I would go with a Tallboy.....no question. A second choice would be the Specialized Epic.
The Tallboy is a bit more versatile. You can stick a 100mm-140mm travel fork on it.
The Banshee Prime is not available yet, still in testing phase.
I think the 29er wheel platform is best suited to hardtails and 4" travel full suspension bikes. The longer travel 29ers I've ridden have not been great.

·
Woohooo!
5,104 Posts
tws_andrew said:
I gotta buy one. I know I love what I have but I have ADD. Since you guys led me right to get the DT and Endo which one? Looking at the Evolve, Tallboy and 429 but open to any recs including HT. Will use it for mostly XC
I'm waiting for an Endorphin--at some point Noel has to give in and drink the 29er Kool-aid :). In the meantime, I'll keep XCing in my Kona Unit.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,469 Posts
I have a Turner Sultan that has pulled similar duty as the endo and tracers I've had in the stable in the past. I'm not a giant, but at 6'2'' I find them a better fit.

I think the tallboy is a sweet sweet rig and SC has been stand up, if I didn't need the extra 20mm of travel for wheelie drops to flat, I think I'd be on the tallboy. Intense Tracer 29 has some rear tire clearance issues, the Niner Geo seems a bit off for one reason or another.

The Prime looks sweet, and at the price point it probably can't be beat as an AM oriented 29er (and outside of the Lenz lunchbox probably the only other true AM 29er out there). I now have a rune in the stable but due to crap weather haven't been able to beat on it appropriately to pass judgement.

My buddy is doing a similar build to Whafe's nicolai, should be here in a few months, I'm looking forward to it. His may be a smidge slacker as he has the 2011 FSR 29er and Dh oriented Lenz PBJ 29er to squeeze it between in the line up.

Shinobi and the FSR are probably solid bikes that will be a good foray into clown wheels until Knolly puts out a 29er.

also, maybe at sea otter, Ibis will be debuting their stab at a 29er.

edit... an Endo 29er would be perfect... Knolly technical climb-ability and that confidence inspiring downhill stability... mmmmmm... needs a 1.5 HT so one of the upcoming 150mm 29er forks could work...

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
For a 29er , I own a dw Sultan going on its third season !

I own an Endorphin going on its fourth season !

I usually don't keep a bike for more than 1 season unless they are exceptional performers for my needs ! I'd love to see Knolly come out with a FS 29er ! Sorry , I'm not much help.....next ! TIG.

·
Woohooo!
5,104 Posts
thefriar said:
edit... an Endo 29er would be perfect... Knolly technical climb-ability and that confidence inspiring downhill stability... mmmmmm... needs a 1.5 HT so one of the upcoming 150mm 29er forks could work...
That sounds like a good start! I'll throw out that it shouldn't have TOO low of a bottom bracket. Us desert dwellers seem to need more pedal clearance than a typical BC ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I rode a Tallboy and was pretty impressed. It felt relatively nimble in corners and climbed superbly. I even dropped the seat and hit some small doubles and a pump track. I've ridden a few other 29er FS bikes from GF, Specialized and Niner and I wasn't as impressed. They all felt like I was driving a bus, especially the Niners, I really don't like their geo.

You have two really sweet Knolly FS bikes now, right? I would consider getting a 29er hardtail to supplement your collection, maybe even a single speed. No 29er full suspension is going to ride like your Knollys in terms of aggressive terrain and cornering. But a 29er hardtail will pedal better that all of the FS bikes mentioned, plus you will get a better "feel" for the trail, and a totally different ride experience.

I would suggest more of a fun hardtail, nothing too racy. My first choice would be an EWR, then a Wolfhound and then maybe a Canfield Yelli Screamy or Banshee Paradox. Think big BMX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts