Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice how a 29er feels different when jumping? It's like there is noticeably more gyroscopic effect from the larger wheel. When you turn the bars while in the air the rest of the bike will swing around much more noticeably--it's cool. I've got more control if I want to set the bike up for the next turn if I'm going hard and catching air on a rough trail--I like it!

DB

·
Registered
216 Posts
My biggest issue with jumping my 29er is when I tried to do a tailwhip, the fork cap hit the downtube. Because of this problem, the 29er is not a good jumping bike. It's really too bad because a mainstream personality like Dave Mirra riding a 29er could really help our cause of getting more tires, tougher rims, and gyros for our 29ers.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
More stable..yes.

I have a "Test Jump" spot where I test all the bikes I ride to see how they handle in the air.

It is a fairly steep downhill slope that is off-cambered and swings to the right leading to a nice hump which launches you and the bike into the air at an angle.

As you leave the ramp, the bike and rider are leaning over about 20 degrees to the right.

I have found that the 29'ers are very stable in these conditions. It seems to be the gyroscopic effect of the larger wheels, because the 29'ers resist the lean angle and straighten up gradually as they fly, which makes for nice safe landings.. :)

R.

·
And He was Not
1,680 Posts
Bogus said:
Anybody else notice how a 29er feels different when jumping?
DB
Yes I have, I'm not sure what the deal is . It feels like it is WAY up in the Air. I also tend to pull the front up higher. It does seem to stay straighter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts