Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been kinda interested in 29ers for a while now. i figured it was a passing thing but it seems it has really taken off in the past year or so. i ride in northeast georgia and i was wondering if anyone else rides in the georgia, tennesse, south and north carolina area that would know the type of riding. i'm trying to justify a 29er so here's the terrain: long rolling sections with short, puncy climbs(the sort that the front wheel lifts on), rooty and rocky sections, and tight, flat corners. i just want an un-bias opinion on whether a 29er will be a better bike, with some pros and some cons and the wheel size. i am currently riding a giant xtc hardtail. the bike i would be buying is the haro mary xc.

thanks for any help!!!!

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
We have a number of customers that ride 29ers all around the SE, some of them racing. They seem to be a pretty good bike for the rooty sometimes rocky (in the mountains) trails of the south.

·
Registered
33 Posts
29 in SE

i have raced the serc series for years, so i have an idea of your terrain. even though i have a perfectly fitting waltworks (26er) that is a great bike, i have not chose to race it over my 29er (surly karate monkey). both are rigid, maybe that makes the choice of 29er the better choice. all other factors being equal, the size of the 29er wheel is better at rolling over stuff and a more comfortable ride.

try to demo one and that might be all the convincing you need.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I stopped into an awesome bikeshop in Boone, NC last week and had a great talk with a salesperson named Judy. She was really awesome and we talked a bit about 29ers. She didn't think they had caught on too much around there. I think they would be great in the Appalachians. But where aren't they great, right?

-steven

·
Registered
430 Posts
Most everyone in our club has one 29er. A few of us have several. Why do people think there are regions where they won't work?

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
There are a good number of 29ers around Atlanta. Many of the ones I see are steel hardtails set up as singlespeeds with lots (mine included) fully rigid. I also know a few people riding Turner Sultans. I've really enjoyed mine over the last couple months I've owned it. It does really well on swoopy singletrack particularly smooth stuff since it's rigid. The trail I ride it on most has some good elevation changes, tight curves, and rocks. One of my buddies who has a VERY nice 26" SS took it out for a spin and was very impressed. That's from a guy who's not drinking the Kool-Aid.

That said, I have a Turner 5 Spot that is a fabulous ride with more flexibility than my SS. I'd take my 29er on a long ride if I had gears and a suspension fork on it but for now will opt for the Spot.

If I had one bike I'd choose something like this:
If I wanted an SS - 29er steel, rigid or with suspension fork
Geared HT - 29er steel with a suspension fork
FS - Many choices in 26", not so many 29er and they tend to be higher end models. It would be a toss up here based on cash and exactly what I'm looking for.

Hope that helps. I've ridden lots in GA, TN, and West NC. If you're doing XC a 29er should be a fun ride.

·
Registered
590 Posts
In Kentucky....

...just a bit north and with much similar terrain as you, 29ers are doing well. Being an early adopter, I was kidded and mocked at first. Recently, we had a 13 hour race at one of the most technical trail systems in these parts. There was a frame giveaway for fastest lap time and it was won by a guy on a Orbea 29er. That kind of shut them all up and many are planning their new 29er purchase.

I find that in these parts and despite all the magazines, the internet, the various forums, anything new or different than the norm is looked on with much more skepticism than what I have seen in other places.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
FYI - The only people who give me crap are my friends and they only do it because I give them crap about things. IMO if you're concerned about people giving you crap over a bike then you need to look at your high school diploma and realize you're past that stuff :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ride a Gary Fisher Paragon and a Turner Flux. Most of my riding is in the Danville/Lynchburg, Virginia area and the Greensboro, North Carolina area. These areas are full of roots,rocks and log crossings with tight techical singletrack. Some of the climbs are longish but, most are short to medium in length that requires quick burst of acceleration to overcome. Both of my bikes offer a different type of ride. The 29er is good for riding over the roots, rocks and logs. The 26" Flux is much better in the tight technical trails and better at all the climbs. For me, the better acceleration and quicker handling characteristics of the 26" make it my first choice of bikes when heading out for a ride.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I think the mistake people make when looking at the 29'r choice is looking for it to be "better" or "superior."
29" wheels are not always measurably "better" or "superior". They are, however, always different in ways that are fun and never noticeably negative. I loving racing mine throughout WNC.
Mike

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill here. Just did an XC race yesterday on my Asylum, worked incredibly well. I've had it about a year and have done quite a few races including the Cowbell Challenge (got 1st in the 6 hour solo division). Planning to do ORAMM this weekend on the same bike, so I'd say 29ers work very well in the Southeast...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I've been riding 29ers exclusively in NE Georgia for about 2 years now with no complaints. They do a great job of rolling over the rooty stuff that I usually ride. I can't see myself going back to a 26" bike.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Riding and racing my 29er exclusively since last October here in VA. I'm in the process of selling off the rest of ym 26" stuff and never looking back.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I’m edging up on 5 years riding big wheels in the East Tennessee and surrounding areas. When I started on the big wheels, people thought it was odd. These days, 26” bikes are rare in most of the group rides I go on in Tennessee and in Western NC.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Newton's Laws NOT Applicable in the S.E.!

I don't have 12 29" wheeled bikes, or fifty years of riding experience on them, and don't give a rats about what people think, but the unique conditions in the S.E. transmogrify the laws of Newtonian physics that apply everywhere else in World. In the S.E., 29" wheels roll SLOWER but handle QUICKER. This is also why in the S.E., we boil perfectly good peanuts, and insist on hyphenating the word: Pe-nut, or alternately, p-nut, but never pea-nut.

My story: had Racer-X, bought Dos Niner on a fluke. Sold Racer-X, kept Dos Niner, bought Dean Colonel 29er, am looking at Turner Sultan. I like my 29er iin East TN and Western NC.

Have fun

W. Ritter

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spent the past 14 yrs riding a Fat Chance here in N.E. Georgia. It was a great bike but I was ready for something different. I sold the Fat and bought a Fisher 29er on the advice of the owner at Apalachee Cycles. The larger wheels and more stretched out frame make a better fit for me being over 6' tall. The bike rolls fast on the trails and is just plain fun to ride. I'm loving it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I'm edging up on 5 years riding big wheels in the East Tennessee and surrounding areas. When I started on the big wheels, people thought it was odd. These days, 26" bikes are rare in most of the group rides I go on in Tennessee and in Western NC.
Are you counting the time you spent on the road bike? You must have had a secret 29'er we didn't know about! :lol:

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
Are you counting the time you spent on the road bike? You must have had a secret 29'er we didn't know about! :lol:
Whoops 4 years go-kart, I bought the Wily in 04, though I was riding a Cross Check with 44s prior to that. I guess you can remember all the bikes I've had better than i can.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts