Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
falling off since 1975
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure that on an MTB tandem most of the issues go away...

long wheelbase, duh - got one already
bargelike steering (JOKE - OK!) - check
weight - like, have you ever picked up an MTB tandem?

What tandems do need is ability to roll over stuff - you ever tried to wheelie, stoppie or bunny hop a tandem? The big wheel would certainly help there.

The only downside I can see is the tendency of off-road tandems to eat wheels. Comes back to not being able to finesse over stuff.

While folk talk about increasing 29er wheel strength by increasing hub width they have generally only considered solos. 26er tandems already use wider hubs than 26er solos, so what hub widths should we be looking at for 29er tandems.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Interesting question, I don't have the answers (sorry) but I can throw this in:

First off, how much more strength does a 140mm tandem hub give over a 135mm hub on a 26" wheel? Is 145mm even better? I remember Doug at Manitou c1990 making his frames with 140mm / 110mm hubs for better strength and some special Hugi hubs to suit them.

When tandem wheels fail do they flat-spot (frontal impact) or fold (lateral strength) or a combination of both?

Is it ethcal to put 29" wheels on a Turner singlespeed tandem? :D ;)

Sorry...couldn't resist!

Alex

·
falling off since 1975
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Singlespeedpunk said:
Is it ethcal to put 29" wheels on a Turner singlespeed tandem? :D ;)

Sorry...couldn't resist!

Alex
Singlespeed tandem. Are you mad? If there's one justification for gears tandems are it. :D

As to the ethics - I seek advice from the 29er ayatollahs!

·
Look at the time!
1,139 Posts
are you going to have your hubs custom made?
if not, i don't think there is too much choice. go for 150mm w/ 12mm thru axle rear (downhill specific hubs - 150mm with about the same flange spacing as 135mm hubs, but with symmetrical flanges)
and 110 w/20mm axle front.
I bet there are quite a few 150/12mm hubs drilled for 40 or 48 spokes.

You could also use one of those threaded 135mm singlespeed hubs with huge flange spacing, get a longer axle and screw on an old 6-speed cassette/freewheel.

·
falling off since 1975
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a general query

lelebebbel said:
are you going to have your hubs custom made?
It's not related to a specific bike build.

There have been some good points raised about undustry standards for hub widths on this board.

I was seeking the opinion of those folks as to what they would propose as a new standard for tandems that would accomodate 29er wheels.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
lelebebbel said:
You could also use one of those threaded 135mm singlespeed hubs with huge flange spacing, get a longer axle and screw on an old 6-speed cassette/freewheel.
I like this idea very much, and have access to all the lathe and CNC stuff i want.
Could you tell me where to look for old 6 or 7 speed freewhell ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Phil Wood makes disc brake tandem hubs in 145mm rear and 110x20mm front. I think they also make 160mm hubs for Santana that have threads for a drum brake (there are adapters for the threads to allow disc brakes). You could also use a 135mm SS disc hub on the front for increased strength.

Craig

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nick3216 said:
I figure that on an MTB tandem most of the issues go away...

long wheelbase, duh - got one already
bargelike steering (JOKE - OK!) - check
weight - like, have you ever picked up an MTB tandem?

What tandems do need is ability to roll over stuff - you ever tried to wheelie, stoppie or bunny hop a tandem? The big wheel would certainly help there.

The only downside I can see is the tendency of off-road tandems to eat wheels. Comes back to not being able to finesse over stuff.

While folk talk about increasing 29er wheel strength by increasing hub width they have generally only considered solos. 26er tandems already use wider hubs than 26er solos, so what hub widths should we be looking at for 29er tandems.
Go look at the tandem hubs DT Swiss offers

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Since weight is only half as important, why not build the Tandem around Surly Endomorph tires? I rode a Pugsley bike recently, and it rolled awesome at 15psi on pavement. For dirt if can only be better, especially heavier weighted.

Extra strong rims = check
Volume for rolling over trail debris = check
Volume for comfort = check
Wheel weight per rider still on XC-level = check

Okay, so it's only 26x3.7", but it's better than plain old 26", IMO.

·
This place needs an enema
15,722 Posts
nick3216 said:
I'd use a 165mm DH hub if it were for my bike. DT and others make them in 32 and 36h.

MC

·
highly visible
3,271 Posts
Hmm ... 29" MTB tandem. Don't see why not. The usual fit issues would apply: for example, my wife is too short for a 29"er solo bike, but no reason the stoker position couldn't still accomodate someone of her height. As with solo bikes, it could be the best of both worlds: the ability to run fat tires offroad, or skinny tires for the road, with BB height working about right for either depending on tire selection. The rolling-over-obstacles benefit of 29" wheels would be especially helpful on a tandem where you can't loft the front end. And the fact that 29" tires track markedly better though mud and sand would be of enormous benefit should you encounter those conditions while riding your tandem offroad!

I would think you'd want to go with at least a 150mm TA in back. Of course that would probably preclude the use of a BOB trailer, unless you fabricated some "dummy" BOB mounts near the rear dropouts.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have been wondering whether Ventana might be looking into this. They could call it an "El Conquistitan."

Edit: Maybe an "El Capidor" would be better.
:D

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
lelebebbel said:
go for 150mm w/ 12mm thru axle rear (downhill specific hubs - 150mm with about the same flange spacing as 135mm hubs, but with symmetrical flanges)
Some are symmetrical, some are spaced wider and dished (like 135mm hubs).

As mikesee said, you can get either 150mm or 165mm. Those are going to be the toughest hubs you can buy, and they will build the strongest wheels.

·
falling off since 1975
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Missing the Point

Yeah yeah, I could use a 165mm hub that's on the market, but you're missing the point.

I'm not asking what to use that's available now.

If I had a clean sheet of paper to develop hubs for 29er tandems how wide would you make them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts