Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tax return season is starting soon, and I find myself longing to re-enter the world of mountain biking again. 29'ers seem to be the current rage, so I'd like some input on which makes/models to consider.

1st, I'll state what I used to ride, my riding style, and my likes/dislikes about my former riders:

Santacruz Chameleon - This is the bike I started on. It was SUPER stiff, and the slack ht angle caused my front wheel to push a lot through corners.. that was with an 80mm RS Sid, too! I also was forced to buy a carbon post, because my back (which is now 6 yrs older) couldn't take the abuse. I miss it the most, though, cuz it was fun, had a fairly light parts build, and required less maintainance than my fs rig.

Titus Racer X - In 2000-2001, lockout on fs was all the rage. To that end, it served its purpose on long, flat training rides. During XC races, I actually felt slower, though - can't really prove that hypothesis unfortunately. Maybe it was due to the added weight (about 1 lb more than my SC Chameleon)? This frame, with an 80mm RS Sid felt nervous in turns. I never really trusted myself on this bike. I'm no mechanic either, so maintainance was an issue.

I don't know that I'll be racing again, but my main concers are: Hardtail only, Compliant frame material (steel, etc), Weight, All-day rideability, and budget = $1000-2000.

OK... sorry for the "book" I've written but let's see what everyone else in mtbr-land has to offer. Thanks!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Welcome..

Welcome to the party... :D

There are plenty of good HT steel frames available in the 29'er wheel size, both production and custom.

Have you had a look at all the information already available on this forum?

R.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found ninerbikes.com... checked out frame weights, materials used, etc, then read some reviews here on mtbr. I think I like the SIR 9... while I won't let weight be a deciding factor, I do wish that a similarly compliant frame was available in a lighter weight. I'm only 5'7" with a 30" inseam and weigh 155 lbs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
niner makes a good steel frame for about $800 and you can get them in a few days.

if you go custom, you can get a soulcraft frame for about $1200. i have had mine for about a month. the wait was about 7 months.

waltworks makes a good custom frame for about a $1000. placed a order last week and the current delivery time is around 4.5 months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a niner air 9 and love it. The scandium suprised me. It rides smooth, more like steel than aluminum. Scarry lite and very affordable. I have a cane creek suspension post on mine but I had the same set up on a Fisher Paragon before this and the Air 9 is a lot smoother. I have not ridden one but I am sure the sir 9 would be more comfy, just a little heavier. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a niner S.I.R. 9 frame, any suggestions on what size to get for a 5'7" rider with a 30" inseam? I like a stretched out riding position for climbs...
Thanks!

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Just call up the Niner guys and ask them -- they know their frames better than anyone!

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
If you are starting from scratch and not transfering parts over from another bike, I would consider a complete bike like the gary fisher ferrous (geared, front susp, $2k), salsa el mariachi complete (rigid fork, 1x9, $1.6k), or the haro mary (less money).

i think building up a bike from scratch, it's better to go with a complete bike because all of those little bits tend to add up. but if are reusing lots of stuff, then just get a frame... and wheels, and fork... disc brakes?

for $2k you can get a custom from (~1.2k), wheels (~400) and fork (~300) and then use your other parts and then get exactly what you want, albeit with a short wait.

and the niner looks great, as well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Curious why you ordered a Walt after having a Soulcraft for just a month?
Are both for you?

dirtdirt223 said:
if you go custom, you can get a soulcraft frame for about $1200. i have had mine for about a month. the wait was about 7 months.

waltworks makes a good custom frame for about a $1000. placed a order last week and the current delivery time is around 4.5 months.

·
Registered
389 Posts
steelbike said:
Curious why you ordered a Walt after having a Soulcraft for just a month?
Are both for you?
both frames are for me.

singlespeeding is my thing and the soulcraft is my dedicated ss. it was built without shifter cable guides and will never see gears or a suspension fork. i wanted my ss to be very clean and it is. the bike rides like a dream and i am taking it to teralingua for a 100k next month. the 100k OC in arkansas in march and a 50 miler in arkansas in may.

every now and then, i will need gears when i venture out of texas for some rides in coloradao, arkansas, mexico, etc. the waltworks will fill this need.

the two bike deal, one dedicated ss and one with gears, was always my plan, just like when i rode bikes with small wheels. i will be able to run the walt with gears or as a ss.

as far as the soulcraft, it is just to dang pretty to put gears on.

ride on,

s

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
so how does the...

Xayden said:
I just purchased a Jabberwocky and with the price of the frame being so low I was able to keep the price for the total bike under 1,000. I also have a Monkey (which was slightly higher). The ride between the two is completely different. You should check them out as a low price source to 29er.
Jabberwocky ride?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with the advice to get a complete bike if you're starting from scratch. I love my Niner SIR 9 SS, but, from my own recent experience, a properly built SIR 9 will likely set you back considerably more than $2K...even more for a geared bke with suspension fork. The GF Ferrous 29er looks like a very nice ride.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jabberwocky ride

It rides quite nice. With the other 29ers I have had you sit more on top of the bike - giving you that "tall" feeling. Where with this I sit more "in" the bike. Definitely feels lower and cornering is the sh*t. Gives a better center of gravity. I can definitely tell the biggest difference in the climbs.
:thumbsup:
edouble said:
Jabberwocky ride?

G

·
Another Fisher Kudo

I've been on a Fisher X-cal for the past year and it's been a great bike to be introduced to the 29'er concept. Think they retail for around $1,300'ish, rides very comfortably for joe-average aluminum frame, decent part spec, good 'all-around' geometry, good dealer & mfr support network.

Having said that, was just down at the shop I used to work at (where I purchased they x-cal) and they had several Ferrous gearies sitting on the floor.....wow! The baby blue paint is incredible, think they were retailing for $1,700. Weird, one of the bike's tubeset was a proprietary Fisher steel, but the other two were True Temper OX Plat.

In any case, Fishers aren't necessarily boutique but are the real deal nonetheless...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.