Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting another bike to go with my RIP 9. I have an EMD (set up as SS) but would like something a bit nicer and lighter. I'll probably run the bike as 1x10 and at times convert it to single speed. I'd like to go with carbon and with a company that has at least a 5 year warranty.

My budget is ~$3k but I may wait to buy until after this season, so maybe I can pick up a more expensive bike but on sale/closeout.

I'm partial to Niner as I've had great experiences with them and their customer service. I'll demo as many bikes as possible, but there aren't a lot of demo days around here. I demoed a Felt 9 and loved the bike, but part of it may have been the fact that I rode it on an incredible trail that I had never ridden before.

What should I expect for weight for a 29er carbon hardtail that costs around $3-4k? I'm not a weight weenie, but would like my next bike to weight significantly less than my current two bikes

Any recommendations to put on my lookout list?

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
Competitive cyclist has Air 9 Carbon XX01 Complete bike for $3329.00 shipped. Small and medium only

Sent from a cell phone using tapatalk

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
That covers all the bases you mentioned.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
These can be run SS with the addition of adjustable dropout components. Not sure what the warranty length is, but the frames are less than half most carbon frames.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
I'm finishing my build on a Trek SF 9.8.
My seatpost, saddle, bars and stem with Wide Lightning wheels and Azonic pedals is just over 22lbs.
The compliance is why this frame is different.
If a demo opportunity comes up it rides very different from the Niners I have demoed over the past seasons.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
Yea, but how much is the Trek-My experience is that they are way way proud of their bikes. It is like there is a contest between Trek and Spec and Cdale to see who can charge the most.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Yea, but how much is the Trek-My experience is that they are way way proud of their bikes. It is like there is a contest between Trek and Spec and Cdale to see who can charge the most.
Like any purchase you need to find the right person to deal with. I went through 5 dealers and found a couple. One was a manager and we worked a maximum allowable discount and larger discount on parts with a price reduction for takeoff parts that was fair. This is at a platinum level dealership. My bottom line is very reasonable. I used a 9.8, but a 9.6 with a new SID damper, wheels and cassette, cockpit and tire upgrade to the XR1 Team would be very affordable, especially if you have some parts to move over. The frame has the carryover level of engineering from the road bike group that makes it very noticeably better.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
You have 6 Trek dealers?

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
You have 6 Trek dealers?
One is a chain with four stores within 30 miles of me. But each manager runs his own ship.
One is a small local store.
One is a large store 50 miles away but I hang at friends nearby almost every weekend.
Another one in the same local is a two outlet group strong in road.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
I have 2 Air 9Carbons one geared and 1 SS. They are awesome!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cannondale sells a carbon 29er that can be had for about $2500 with normal shop discount. Seems like a pretty good deal and a lot of bike for the money

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
But can he run it SS? Even Niner, since discontinuing the older version of the Air 9Carbons has only 1 frame you can run 1xbyx and SS. I can think of less than 4 carbon frames that meet his original criteria.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts