Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
James Adams
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 10 years on my Niner EMD I'm thinking of getting a new bike. In general, I've had good luck with XT components so I'd like to get a bike with mostly XT parts if possible. However, looking online at new bikes it's been surprisingly difficult to find one that comes with XT parts. (I'd actually prefer to build my new bike from parts I've selected but that's almost always a lot more expensive than buying one already put together from a dealer.) I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone here can recommend such a bike that I've not discovered (or sell me your used one). My budget is $2,000. I'm not a badass or a racer, just someone who likes to ride 3-5 times a week on intermediate trails in the Appalachian mountains.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
After almost 10 years on my Niner EMD I'm thinking of getting a new bike. In general, I've had good luck with XT components so I'd like to get a bike with mostly XT parts if possible. However, looking online at new bikes it's been surprisingly difficult to find one that comes with XT parts. (I'd actually prefer to build my new bike from parts I've selected but that's almost always a lot more expensive than buying one already put together from a dealer.) I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone here can recommend such a bike that I've not discovered (or sell me your used one). My budget is $2,000. I'm not a badass or a racer, just someone who likes to ride 3-5 times a week on intermediate trails in the Appalachian mountains.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
you're going to be hard pressed to find that within your price range.

On my initial searches, the best Shimano builds I could find were some SLX 11spd bikes. But sometimes even Deore 10spd for a sub-$2,000 hardtail. Part of that is that there are SRAM builds in the sub-$2,000 price range, too, with NX Eagle or SX Eagle.

You're also seeing a bit of a Shimano transition, too. All of Shimano from SLX to XTR is now available in 12spd, and there's now a new freehub body required for those (which has somewhat limited availability, especially from manufacturers making wheelsets for bikes in this price range). Previous gen Shimano is being sold at discounts right now, so that works in your favor on the "build from a frame" side, but unfortunately, the cost of the drivetrain is a pretty minor part of the overall build cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Shimano bike groups are different components than they were five or ten years ago.
Today’s Deore group for mountain bikes is on a par with the previous XT groups you previously used. Newer drive trains have continued to improve. XTR and XT are still the top, but designed more for pros and bike racers, than casual riders like us.

My previous bike was also XT group, and I used it for commuting, but my new hardtail is Deore, and I find the quality ease of shifting for casual ridding like you are doing, is more than adequate. I can not tell the difference between this and my older XT components on my previous bike.

Hydraulic disk brakes are so much better than the old rim brake or mechanical brake systems, so cam operated brake levers like my old XT levers, are not needed to get good braking action. Medium level brake levers work quite well, and are responsive.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.