Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to get a new hardtail 29er that I'll set up as a singlespeed. I'm looking for a size large and considering a Specialized Fuse (bit more than I want to spend), Salsa Timberjack (not sure if I can get my hands on one), a Nukeproof Scout 290 Deore 10 (in stock in my size, but not SS specific). Since it's my second bike and not ridden as much I'd like to keep the price around $1,500 but could go up more if needed (especially for more better parts).

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Looking at the specs, the Scout and the Fuse seem pretty similar. I'm wondering if the 32h WTB rims will be stiffer than the 28h Specialized Alloy rims (I don't want to have to true the wheels a lot or ever). The fuse comes with a dropper, but not sure I want to run a dropper on my HT single speed. So I'm leaning towards getting the Scout and saving the extra ~$800. If it was my main bike, I'd spend more but since it's my backup/2nd bike I'm being more cost conscious.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Kona Unit? Rigid fork but right price $1249 complete. Also from Kona Honzo ST(steel) $599 and DL (Al) $499 frames. Surly Karate Monkey $849 frameset. It's tough, usually unless you can get one complete it makes more sense to buy frame(set) and DIY but just built my latest and parts availability was an issue.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kona Unit? Rigid fork but right price $1249 complete. Also from Kona Honzo ST(steel) $599 and DL (Al) $499 frames. Surly Karate Monkey $849 frameset. It's tough, usually unless you can get one complete it makes more sense to buy frame(set) and DIY but just built my latest and parts availability was an issue.
Thanks, would like a HT over rigid to help soften some rough terrain. Will consider the Honzo. It's a bit on the aggressive side - at 66 deg HA and 140mm fork, but I'm sure a blast to ride

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks, would like a HT over rigid to help soften some rough terrain. Will consider the Honzo. It's a bit on the aggressive side - at 66 deg HA and 140mm fork, but I'm sure a blast to ride
All of my SS are 66-67 which seem middle of the road compared to Honzo ESD or some of the other newer HTs. When I still had my GT Peace 9R SS that was 71HTA tried a ride before I sold it, scary in comparison.

Check out the single speed forum, there's still some active threads on this post subject I think.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just sold one of my bikes now have the space for another one :) Ironically, I saw the Nukeproof Scout on the back of a car the other day and it looked really nice, especially for a $1,500 bike. Unfortunately, they're now out of stock in my size, but I'll keep an eye on things

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.