Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm looking forward to buy a new MTB. I found this very nice Focus Black Mountain 29er 2.0 from 2012 ( http://imgur.com/AxnK2Po ) which looks very nice and has a very good price.
The only problem is that I am 6`2" and the frame size is 19", which is a size shorter than what I think I need. For proper fitting I have to raise the seat post to the maximum level.
So, I want to ask you if it is ok to go with the 19" frame and what are the possible drawbacks if I go with a smaller bike.
(I have to mention that the price is very very good).
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think a lot depends on the geometry, how you normally ride, and where you're comfortable. I rode a 19" Hardrock for 12 years and when I went in to get fitted for my "new" Stumpjumper 29er, they convinced me that I'd be better off on the 17.5" than the 19" (I'm 6' tall). Two years later I'm pretty happy with the outcome, but some days I do wonder about that extra 1.5" of tubing. Oh, I did have to buy a slightly longer seatpost to get the seat up to where I like it, I think it's a 400mm now... My suggestion is hop on the bike and see how you feel on it. If the seatpost just needs to be a bit longer, that's not a very expensive problem. If you have to bring the bars up or out or do anything else slightly more involved along with the longer seatpost, then it starts adding up pretty quickly. Good luck with your search for the best bike for you!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
At 6.2 And seat post exposed to the max would indicate LG frame would be a better fit.

I believe Focus offer 3 sizes " S M L " and the 19" would be a Med.

I would not recommend sacrificing a proper fit for the sake of a great deal. You'll end up paying more in the loss of performance and over-all comfort.

Not saying the 19 won't work for you but at your height You'd be fitted for atleast a LG by most shop's.

Is it possible to ride a LG focus for a comparison ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 6.2 And seat post exposed to the max would indicate LG frame would be a better fit.

I believe Focus offer 3 sizes " S M L " and the 19" would be a Med.

I would not recommend sacrificing a proper fit for the sake of a great deal. You'll end up paying more in the loss of performance and over-all comfort.

Not saying the 19 won't work for you but at your height You'd be fitted for atleast a LG by most shop's.

Is it possible to ride a LG focus for a comparison ?
I'm afraid that's not possible. The local store in my city don't have it on stock. They only have the XL on the 4.0 model (not sure about the model), which is too big.
The bike is half the price and is very hard for me to make a decision right now...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2013 model of the Focus in size M = 19" and I'm 6' straight. This has worked fine for me.
The sizing of Focus is on the large size at least compared to something like Santa Cruz. A L santa equals a M focus.. Can you try it on a track? It's a nice bike and a really good price, but if it feels too cramped it's not worth it imo.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Do you have a properly fitting bike currently? I would compare the geo numbers (especially ett) and see how different things will be. Then you can decide whether the differences will be tolerable and how you can make simple change he's to effect a similar riding position. If they're too far off, then scrap the idea. As said above, proper fit is paramount. It's more important than price, weight, color, wheel size, etc.

For perspective. I'm only an inch taller than you but I'm leggy (35" inseam) and do I ride an XL hammerhead thumper (kona satori) with relatively short (60mm) stem and very wide (780mm) bars. The bike fits me like a glove and I'm far more comfortable on that than my other bike (cannondale f29 I'm XL, which I will be getting fitted on to hopefully make me like it more).

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To determine your proper frame size, you'll first need to get an accurate inseam measurement .
I am quite leggy: 90 cm inseam (35"). (I repeated the measurement several times).
The seat tube on this Focus bike is 48 cm and the top tube is 60 cm.

Can you try it on a track?
I tried it yesterday for a mile or so, but on the pavement. It felt good, but somehow small in comparation with my 60 cm road bike

Do you have a properly fitting bike currently? I would compare the geo numbers (especially ett)
I have a 60 cm road bike (something like 24"). I never been on a proper mountain bike. This would be my first one and I don't know how it supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first thoughts are that this frame/bike is too small for you. It does depend, though, on how the bike actually feels to you. I would try to find a 20" or 21" frame to compare. Needing to raise the seatpost to its max would be a bad sign for me and doing that is not a good way to make a bike "fit" you.

In reference, I am 5'6" and all my 29er frames are 18". Some of the measurements of this 19" Focus (ETT, Reach) are very similar to that of my frames and I would probably be comfortable on this Focus. With that, again, I think this bike is too small for you. Be sure you are comfortable On the bike and not just with the price tag.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I remember correctly (although unable to find it) the size guidelines by Focus were something like 180-190 for the M (19").

I own the same frame (M-19") and I'm 177 cm (5'8") but with a smaller stem than the original. The M-size should be the one that should fit you. The reach on the L frame might be to large for you to be comfortable, unless you were to change the stem.

Anyway, if in doubt, throw it out. Good deal on a wrong size bike isn't a good deal :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought it and I like it very much. Took it to a spin in the woods and it feels just right.
It seems very maneuverable, (probably because of the small frame and wide handlebar) and comfortable (because of the long stem).
The only thing that I don't like about it are the brakes, otherwise, I think I like it more than my road bike.
Thank you for the replies.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,699 Posts
I bought it and I like it very much. Took it to a spin in the woods and it feels just right.
It seems very maneuverable, (probably because of the small frame and wide handlebar) and comfortable (because of the long stem).
The only thing that I don't like about it are the brakes, otherwise, I think I like it more than my road bike.
Thank you for the replies.
Cool!

I was going to say that I'm 6'-3" and ride a 19" frame. I do have a long seat post, though. I've always ridden a 19 or a 20. 21 has never felt right, except on the road.

-F

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.