Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building up my Niner Air 9 for XC riding/racing and was wondering what bars to use. It seems the trend is to go for wide flat bars, but I am concerned about going too wide for racing. I don't want to be clipping trees and having a tougher time getting around other riders on the tight singletrack. My guess is to go with a flat carbon bar that is a bit wider than the average, maybe something like the FSA SL-K flat bar which is 620mm (24.5") wide. Any opinions for folks racing on 29ers?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm racing with 700mm bars in hilly/tree-filled PA. Haven't had any particular problem passing anyone, though i have clipped trees a few times racing and training. These potential drawbacks are worth it to me for the extra leverage climbing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
On my geared Air 9 I run 660mm Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon. It is a comfortable width for me (I'm 6'3") and it fits through most stuff.

On my single speed I run a 710mm Salsa Pro-Moto. It is definitely a disadvantage in the tight stuff. There are some places on the local race courses where it simply doesn't fit through the trees. I have to slow way down and rock the bars through. But on the single speed the extra width is helpful on the stand and grind sections.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Another vote for the Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon. Personally, I wouldn't go any narrower on a 29er.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Crackhead_Willy said:
I am in the process of building up my Niner Air 9 for XC riding/racing and was wondering what bars to use. It seems the trend is to go for wide flat bars, but I am concerned about going too wide for racing. I don't want to be clipping trees and having a tougher time getting around other riders on the tight singletrack. My guess is to go with a flat carbon bar that is a bit wider than the average, maybe something like the FSA SL-K flat bar which is 620mm (24.5") wide. Any opinions for folks racing on 29ers?
I'd say keep the width at 660mm or less. 620-660mm width is the sweet spot for me for tight singletrack lined with trees.

BB

·
Registered
117 Posts
BruceBrown said:
I'd say keep the width at 660mm or less. 620-660mm width is the sweet spot for me for tight singletrack lined with trees.

BB
I don't race, but have been so satisfied with my 630mm Syntace Duraflite, I just have to recommend it!!!

Fantastic piece of (light) equipment!!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Bars are almost like saddles in that it really comes down to personal preference and fit. Go with what works best for you.

But...I would suggest giving the wider bar a shot. Ride that and see if it works out for you. If not you can start chopping some off to bring it down to a width that works best for you.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I run a carbon bar on my rigid, but on my front suspension bike I really prefer an alloy bar for flex reasons. I have been running a Niner Flat top bar for a little over a year and really like it I did cut about 1/2" off each end to help with tree clearance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
600mm fsa flat bar and bar ends on my air9, which i use for racing and not much else. 660mm low rise bar on my other bikes, it feels more stable/slower steering. i like the narrower bar in race situations but like the wide bars when i'm out trail riding.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Syntace Vector Carbon here.... 12* back sweep and just a touch of rise (~10mm). I ran it at the 680mm width for a while but recently cut it down to 660mm. Like it a LOT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts