Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, if anyone out there has a small 29er frame with toe overlap, etc. and spec's and geometry or plan for a frame, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try with a friend to fabricate a 29er frame out of Ti. My riding style currently is racing and I ride a 16" frame with 22.5" effective top tube. Please email me with your suggestions!

Cheers!

·
Enough of the dark side..
253 Posts
Small Frames

Brodiebikelover said:
Hi, if anyone out there has a small 29er frame with toe overlap, etc. and spec's and geometry or plan for a frame, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try with a friend to fabricate a 29er frame out of Ti. My riding style currently is racing and I ride a 16" frame with 22.5" effective top tube. Please email me with your suggestions!

Cheers!
I recommend a Soma Juice or an AIR 9 or EMD from Niner...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
There's a new wave of 29" frames rolling this way. Along come forks with more offset. The offset brings quick handling, and takes away the need for steep head tubes angles. Both improve toe clearance this way. To such an extent, top tubes can be shortened. The Soma and Niners are not yet on this new wave.
Start from here : the top tube length you prefer on 26"ers. Figure in the use of a 51mm offset fork. Fox will make them. manitou will have 47mm. Perhaps Rockshox Reba's with 51mm as well. A 71º HTA already allows for a pretty short bike now, that handles well quick enough.
Measure your current bike's front center, and decide what will be your minimum on the 29"er, corrected for the ~31.5mm larger 29"er's wheel radius.

If you're constructing something yourself, don't look TOO much at what others have done. Dare to innovate, do your thinking a little better than others, learn from their mistakes, don't just copy what seems to work. Especially as you're talking a small frame here.

Good luck,

J

·
Enough of the dark side..
253 Posts
New Wave?

Cloxxki said:
There's a new wave of 29" frames rolling this way. Along come forks with more offset. The offset brings quick handling, and takes away the need for steep head tubes angles. Both improve toe clearance this way. To such an extent, top tubes can be shortened. The Soma and Niners are not yet on this new wave.
Start from here : the top tube length you prefer on 26"ers. Figure in the use of a 51mm offset fork. Fox will make them. manitou will have 47mm. Perhaps Rockshox Reba's with 51mm as well. A 71º HTA already allows for a pretty short bike now, that handles well quick enough.
Measure your current bike's front center, and decide what will be your minimum on the 29"er, corrected for the ~31.5mm larger 29"er's wheel radius.

If you're constructing something yourself, don't look TOO much at what others have done. Dare to innovate, do your thinking a little better than others, learn from their mistakes, don't just copy what seems to work. Especially as you're talking a small frame here.

Good luck,

J
Hey, who has made mistakes :confused:
Why wait for a "new wave" when we have perfectly good race ready 29ers now? Why wait at all?

Get your 29er and go ride! We are over analysing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Check out the post by JRAD about his small Qball - he's right around your height and that's a screamingly nice bike he got from Scott Quiring.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Black Sheep made a very small Ti Lowlight for a woman. 29" wheels. Very sharp looking bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That design looks awesome! Thanks for all the input people, great support. I was wondering if you have any toe overlap on this bike? Please let me know.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forgot to add, that I will probably be using a reba. Do you have any issues with the top of the fork staction hitting the downtube?

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
Same dimensions

I am 5' 5" with a 29" inseam and race a Salsa Dos Niner, size small with no problems. I have been riding the bike for 1.5 yrs with great success. Several wins along the way. Standover is a little tight but I clear the top tube flatfooted, it just tickles my nuts a touch. I run a Reba at 80mm. Great setup, fast, light and smooooth.

1,407 Posts
Brodiebikelover said:
i forgot to add, that I will probably be using a reba. Do you have any issues with the top of the fork staction hitting the downtube?
No toe overlap issues at all, however this is a non-suspension corrected design, which means No rebas here.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Also keep in mind that there are a lot of larger sweep handlebars that effectively shorten reach by 3/4: every 6 or 7 degrees for a given top tube size. (From memory so forgive me if I am wrong. Seems I gained at least 3/4" switching from an 11 degree to 5 degree at a similar width. An 11 or 17 degree bar may allow you a slightly longer top tube to help alleviate toe overlap issues.

G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts