Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I have made the decision to jump into the 29er world. But I can't decide if I want to get a 29er geared bike or a SS.

To give you some background, since taking up singlespeeding a year or so ago, I have probably ridden my SS on 75% of my rides. But I still like to have a geared bike for some epic rides with friends, riding to trail, etc.

I need to get rid of one of my bikes to finance the 29er, so the question is, which one?

Or put another way, you have two bikes, one a 29er, one a 26". One has to be geared and one a singlespeed. How would you set them up and why?

·
Registered
386 Posts
It doesn't matter...

You will probably end up with both if you like it. I went this route, building a 29" geared monkey to use for longer rides and rides with alot of road. I ended up liking it so much that I'm going with a 29" singlespeed as well since that is my main style of riding. I'd say do the SS if you ride that bike more then you will get to use your new bike more.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Go with the 29er

Get the 29er in SS. The 29er wheels roll so well, that in SS they just get better. If you ride 75% SS now, I bet you will ride 90% with a 29er SS. I can out climb a lot of my gearie 26er friends on technical terrain. Some of them have been amazed what a 29er SS can do. I just love mine and don't think I need gears anymore. Get one, you won't be dissapointed. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Use Your Noggin

This is not a decision which anybody else can make for you. Think about the advantages of one platform over the other and how you like to ride and the terrain over which you ride. Don't be a lemming, or you will just wind up with what everybody else is riding and end up convincing yourself that you made the right decision.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Quasi said:
This is not a decision which anybody else can make for you. Think about the advantages of one platform over the other and how you like to ride and the terrain over which you ride. Don't be a lemming, or you will just wind up with what everybody else is riding and end up convincing yourself that you made the right decision.
[casting the bait]...

I'll make the decision for him: make the new 29er a singlespeed. Why? Because it's more fun to ride!

[waiting for a bite]...

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
i am a SS at heart

my first niner is a SS.
my current 26" SS is a "geared" frame, so i am going to remove the tensioner and make it a 1x9 so that i still have a geared bike (selling the geared 26er to finance the SS Waltworks 2niner).

i think i will eventually have more than one 2niner...
but the big wheels and momentum should add up to the best SS ever. ;)
ultimately, you can't lose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.