Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking Seven for their thoughts on a Sola format that would include a 100mm sprung 29er front with a HT 27.5 rear. The frame would be specific to this format.

I see some neat things with this format. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Better than 96er - I've got a Carver Bumblebee here right now for testing and a short write up on it over here https://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196110

if you want more details.

This prototype could benefit from a shorter rear chainstay length and that has been addressed already by Davis in the production frames.

If you want to save a few bucks over a Seven - you should give Davis a call!!!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Full suspension handling likes a slightly bigger front wheel off road. I'm running a 650b front and 26 rear now. This 67.5 combo makes the bump hits feel more even in feedback front to rear. With same size wheels and same travel, the front always feels harsher hitting a bump due to having more weight on the rear suspension except when braking.

A 97.5 combo would be even smoother rolling than 67.5, and still have good rear suspension travel clearance without extra long rear stays. I want to try 97.5 when I get a fully that fits a 650b. But the cost to convert a bike that fits 97.5 is much higher than 67.5 or 650b both ends, due to having to change to a new expensive 29 fork.

For long travel suspension, over 5.5 inch or so the 29 front wheel may be too awkward and interferer with pedaling. But who really knows without trying or at least computer modeling?

Off road motorcycles have used slightly larger front wheels including tire diameter for decades. Only road motos have same size or slightly larger rear wheel/tire diameters.

·
noMAD man
12,171 Posts
69'er & long travel

We built a 69'er Maverick ML8 at our shop that worked really well. In fact it was the bike that opened my eyes to the benefits of taller wheels. And since I'm apparently not suited to the geometry, pedaling effort, and travel reduction inherent in almost all full 29'ers, I thought it would be ideal for me. The Maverick DUC32 may be one of the best 69'er forks available as it has a really low axle to crown height which works well with the 29'er front wheel without throwing the head angle into a tizzy.

People are different, however, and apparently I'm a long travel trail bike rider who just prefers a longer travel fork as a priority. The 4.5 or so inches that are available in most all 29'er forks are just not enough for my preference and riding style. While I was highly impressed with our shop's ML8 69'er, it was just short of eclipsing my Nomad's performance even with a 26'er front and 160mm fork. Hence, this is where the 650B was ideal for my Nomad application. I would however, strongly recommend the DUC32 fork for serious trail bike afficiandos who want to run a 29'er front wheel. Geometry doesn't go south to any degree, and the fork itself really is an impressive piece of work with great performance, extreme tuneability, and light weight. Don't let the dual crown appearance fool you. This is a trail fork and not a DH/FR fork. One of our guys at the shop even races his Maverick Durance with a DUC32 in a 69'er setup with excellent results. If I was going to build a 69'er, the DUC32 would be my choice. Some extreme minimalists who want rigid or extremely small XC fork travel may want to look elsewhere. However, I'd say that almost all full suspension 69'ers would do much better with the DUC32.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Carver 650B

I had Davis build me a custom BumbleBee with slider drop outs. Pics to follow. Having been a 29er for more than 7 years it was a little different riding slightly smaller wheels. After a few rides I put a Willits type II 29er fork in the front and a 29er wheel. Really like the ride and the way it feels. Perfect balance and looks great too. The custom frame took about 6 weeks to get and fit perfect. Carver stickers just don't stick so the frame is naked. I will send pics tomorrow. ps. I also have a Kish 650B that was featured in the NAHBS, Dark red and cream color. I plan on keeping it a full 650b for now. Mark

·
Blue Dot Junkie
391 Posts
We'll be doing a Siren Song in this format soon, I imagine that'll be my personal bike for a while!

I will also speculate this format will be THE hot ticket for suspension bikes with more travel. Stay length won't be compromised for wheel articulation, everything can be neat & tight.

I'm drooling at the thought of it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kish 650B

Here is a pic of my Jim Kish 650B ti bike. Jim is getting me a Ingleheart Unicrown fork painted to match that should be here next week. Regret not putting sliders on it, but oh well. Kish is also building me a ti road bike frame with the exact same paint job. Great work, great welds and a good guy to work with. Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
That Kish is SWEEEET!

I'm a big fan of the 29-650 or whatever you call it concept, as there are very few compromises to work around when designing a 5" travel bike--Unlike FS 29ers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my mind, I'm searching for a preference between 27.5 front and rear vs. the 29er front and 27.5er rear.

I can see the former hooking up a little better in twisty tight single track. I can see the latter rolling a straighter line with slightly more smoothness when the trail gets lumpy.

I've compared back to back a Yeti ASR 26er and a Sola 29er HT. I felt the differences immediately. Both were very enjoyable. So, it's not a good guy vs. bad guy thing for me. Just a matter of giving a little and getting a little.

I'm in the central CO Rockies. Our riding is not extreme ...except for the altitude. We have lots of single track and some dirt road. Sometimes it's steep and long and other times twisty and technical. I think of it as great HT riding terrain. I race all summer too and the new bike is going to replace my Titus Racer X 100.

What do you think? Keep it coming please. Your thoughts are valued.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
bikapelli said:
Here is a pic of my Jim Kish 650B ti bike. Jim is getting me a Ingleheart Unicrown fork painted to match that should be here next week. Regret not putting sliders on it, but oh well. Kish is also building me a ti road bike frame with the exact same paint job. Great work, great welds and a good guy to work with. Later, Mark

That is one sweet looking rig, congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I like this combo of 27.5/29er - it worked great on a 4 hour ride at Case Mountain in Connecticut today!

This Carver Bumblebee prototype handled everything that Case had to offer with no issues whatsoever. Now the rider on the other hand, well he's outta shape!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I ran my spider 29 with a 650 rear. It worked well but I prefer the 29er in the rear. I suppose if your looking to improve handling in the tight stuff it definately helps. Give and take like always.

·
Blue Dot Junkie
391 Posts
Fisty said:
I ran my spider 29 with a 650 rear. It worked well but I prefer the 29er in the rear. I suppose if your looking to improve handling in the tight stuff it definately helps. Give and take like always.
you know, fyi, you might be able to run a 26" spider rear on your 29 & jam a 65B wheel in there...

The consequence will be slackened geometry, but It might be really good.

just sayin'.

·
Registered
891 Posts
BrendanC said:
you know, fyi, you might be able to run a 26" spider rear on your 29 & jam a 65B wheel in there...

The consequence will be slackened geometry, but It might be really good.

just sayin'.
Wont fit
:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts