Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pedros truing stand is an example of 29er friendly (or DH friendly) sweetness. The stand allows a 29er wheel to be touched up with the tire in place...I like it. The pic shows that there's room to spare with a 2.1 tire mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Ultimate

I like the Ultimate system personally, it will true your wheel with tire while mounted to the bikestand,

and is the only one that I have found that will work for trueing your discs also.

plus Pedro don't know 29"ers like the boys at Ultimate do ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bigwheel said:
I like the Ultimate system personally, it will true your wheel with tire while mounted to the bikestand,

and is the only one that I have found that will work for trueing your discs also.

plus Pedro don't know 29"ers like the boys at Ultimate do ;)
Is that a Amp disc?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Ligero said:
Is that a Amp disc?
Seemed like a good idea in 99'.

And to answer the other question, in the top photo you can see the post base of the truing stand mounted to the top of the post of the workstand itself.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Seemed like a good idea in 99'.

And to answer the other question, in the top photo you can see the post base of the truing stand mounted to the top of the post of the workstand itself.
That pic never gets old...simply marvelous.

Curiousity talking here....whatever became of that Amp/Willits fork?

B

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
donkey said:
Curiousity talking here....whatever became of that Amp/Willits fork?

B
Well lets see, for awhile it resided here with after a freshening up by the boys at AMP and an AMP to Hayes adapter that was made by a guy in OZ that I got a chance to be in on,

Was replaced by a rigid fork and now that bike is gone to the OR beyond and the fork resides in the overhead here awaiting its fate along with the wifes 2 model.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Well lets see, for awhile it resided here with after a freshening up by the boys at AMP and an AMP to Hayes adapter that was made by a guy in OZ that I got a chance to be in on,

Was replaced by a rigid fork and now that bike is gone to the OR beyond and the fork resides in the overhead here awaiting its fate along with the wifes 2 model.
Nice, glad it's still around and in use(sort of). I'm sure it provides a different ride from the other currently available options.

B

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Super E said:
The Pedros truing stand is an example of 29er friendly (or DH friendly) sweetness. The stand allows a 29er wheel to be touched up with the tire in place...I like it. The pic shows that there's room to spare with a 2.1 tire mounted.
I have this stand. I am not sure how good it is at dishing. It is very hard to get this stand to dish correctly. You must adjust the "V" shaped "drop downs" at the top so that they are perfectly aligned. Otherwise, as you turn tighten up the legs, the wheel (actually the spot on the wheel at wich you are measuring the dish) will move closer to one or the other side. You can observe this by not fully tightening the device, putting the pincers/calipers close to the wheel and then tightening it a little more. If the wheel doesn't remain centered perfectly between the pincers, the dropins are not adjusted correctly. You can always test for dishing by turning the wheel around, reinserting it into the stand, and using the same amount of torque on the closing mechanism. If the pincers are the same distance on each side of the rim, it is dished correctly.

I guess if you have a perfectly dished wheel you can adjust the dropins correctly, but there should be a better way that having to adjust two screws on each dropin. There are so many possible positions....

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bigwheel said:
I like the Ultimate system personally, it will true your wheel with tire while mounted to the bikestand, and is the only one that I have found that will work for trueing your discs also...
Agreed that Ultimate stepped up to the plate long ago and offered a 29er friendly, quality piece of equipment at a super reasonable price. I really like the disc truing capability and the fact that the Ultimate is easy to take along with their stand. When I get some spare time I have plans to add some simple personal modifications onto my stand to make it capable of disc truing.

That is an awesome bike you have...do you still have it?

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Super E said:
When I get some spare time I have plans to add some simple personal modifications onto my stand to make it capable of disc truing.
I use a dial indicator with a base that magnetically mounts to the arm on my Minoura truing stand to true my disc rotors. The dial indicator is very useful because it tells you not only where the deviation is in the rotor but also how much it is. I also find it usefult when building and truing wheels.

The dial indicator and magnetic mount cost me less than $20.

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
klydesdale said:
I use a dial indicator with a base that magnetically mounts to the arm on my Minoura truing stand to true my disc rotors. The dial indicator is very useful because it tells you not only where the deviation is in the rotor but also how much it is. I also find it usefult when building and truing wheels.

The dial indicator and magnetic mount cost me less than $20.
Right-on! Sounds like nearly the same thing I had in mind.

·
Registered
18,576 Posts
Super E said:
What truing stand do you have?
I knew someone would ask that question. I can't remember the brand, and it's out in the detached garage so I don't want to go take a quick peek right now. It might be a Minoura, but I'm not sure.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Quasi said:
I have this stand. I am not sure how good it is at dishing...
I have used over half a dozen Park TS-2 truing stands and own one myself. I have never depended on it for dishing because it's always so off. It's funny because you can change the relative position of the wheel in the stand by changing how much you tighten it. In fact, on mine I prop open the left caliper so it's out of the way by wedging a 3mm allen wrench at the bottom of it, and solely use the right caliper. I always use a separate dishing tool instead.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Nat said:
I knew someone would ask that question. I can't remember the brand, and it's out in the detached garage so I don't want to go take a quick peek right now. It might be a Minoura, but I'm not sure.
This is what I have and it works well when you take off the vertical truing plate.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.