Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for 29er frame suggestions for a Monster Cross project.

My requirements are:

1. Sliding drops, paragon style would be the best, with a derailler hanger
2. I am inclined to go with Aluminum to keep the weight down but I really like steel
3. Brake posts on the rear seat stays and disc brake mounts
4. Hard points for gear cables and fenders
5. Threadless 1 1/8" headset
6. Rear triangle must accommodate a 2.1 width tire with knobbies

Frames that I am considering at this point are the Fetish Position (not sure if it can accommodate a 2.1 inch tire) and the NYCBikes CrossSpeed II (not sure on the headset at this point).

I would like to keep the frame under $500.

Tx

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
abbeytrails said:
How about using your qball? Just a thought.....Not Alum. but I've seen a few MonsterBalls on here already.
Thought about that, but I like my Q the way it is.

This also gives me an excuse to add another rig to the stable because I need a winter commuter.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMcG said:
Get another Qball! Problem solved! :)
It would be easy to get a Qball but it is missing stuff for racks and fenders, plus I want to try something new. Essentially I building another 29er, probably geared, and rigid for both on and off road use.

I called NYCBikes today and it looks like the CrossSpeed II is the frame to get because it takes a 1 1/8" threadless headset. Another contender could be the Karate Monkey.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MMcG said that NYC Bikes might have a quality issue. Have to find out if that is the case because based on my requirements, that bike has it all. Of course, so does the Misphit diSSent. Unless something better comes around I will have to decide between those two. The KM also fits the bill for the most part.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cloxxki said:
Can you name a single 29" bike that is not 1 1/8" threadless?
You're right but at the time that I was thinking about this, I was still considering actual cyclocross frames, some of which appeared to still use quills (I think).

Mallanaga ... Vassago was one of the first frames that I thought about but their current offerings didn't seem to offer what I was looking for. Got any specs or pix of this new frame?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Vassago Bandersnatch?

not to divert this thread from it's objective, but has anyone run drop bars on the Bandersnatch or Jabberwocky? I am also looking to build a monstercross bike but I want to run 2.2's at least. I know I can get a custom made for $800 or so but something a little cheaper would speed up the deal.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
on a completely different tangent, a surly 1x1.

was bored a while back so i went to the garage and started digging through parts bins/boxes and building and ended up with a fixed monstercross 1x1 and it rode wicked sick. wtb mtn drop bars with a kelly steel fork, bb7 front, and bonty 1.8 jones tyres. handled like a dream, climbed like a billy goat on crack, and the slight increase in bb height was nice. the combination of slightly slacker hta than a "pure" cross frame combined with the shorter chainstays of the 1x1 with a 29er wheel really complements each other well. plus, i also kinda dig having one-off bike builds too. i'll see if i can dig up some pics.

just throwing out an "off the beaten path" option.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
monogod said:
on a completely different tangent, a surly 1x1.
The 1x1 is a nice bike. Would rather have that frame for a 69er. I am using 1x1 fork for my 69er and it's sweet, and I ride that fixed, too!

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MMcG said:
The 1x1 would work better IMO as a Monstercrosser than a 69er. Don't rule it out.
Have to disagree. The 1x1 is not a true 29er platform, which is what I am looking for here. Essentially I want to build a geared, 29er, and then when I get my Full Squish 29er frame in a year or two, all I have to is transfer the parts. It's all about timing and positioning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts