Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a 29er frame from an Online Bike Store or (gasp) E-Bay but I have some questions about sizing. Taking into account that I can look up the geometry spec's online I'm still uncertain as to how 29" wheels will effect the fitment of the bike. For example, I ride a 19" or 20" frame for 26" wheels. Should I be looking at a 17" to 18" sized frame for a 29er? I thought I read somewhere on these boards that you should move a size down when going to a 29er frame but I couldn't find info via the search.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
What are the numbers on your current bike? What is your inseam, how do you like your bikes? (Long top tube short stem, average top tube longer stem) What is your riding style? Some of this information may help us help you pick the right frame. I would first look at the setup of your current bike and try to match it, as well as stand over height. (don't want to have toptube issues)
 

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oliver said:
What are the numbers on your current bike? What is your inseam, how do you like your bikes? (Long top tube short stem, average top tube longer stem) What is your riding style? Some of this information may help us help you pick the right frame. I would first look at the setup of your current bike and try to match it, as well as stand over height. (don't want to have toptube issues)
Padre said:
bigger wheels don't make the frame bigger.
you'll choose a similar size frame that you'd ride on a "regular" bike.
Thanks guys I think I got. The same science that I applied to selecting my 26" bike will more or less work with picking a 29er frame. I guess the idea od larger wheels spooked me a little.

Hey Oliver, is that Valentino Rossi in the pic on your avatar?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Ratman said:
I'm considering purchasing a 29er frame from an Online Bike Store or (gasp) E-Bay but I have some questions about sizing. Taking into account that I can look up the geometry spec's online I'm still uncertain as to how 29" wheels will effect the fitment of the bike. For example, I ride a 19" or 20" frame for 26" wheels. Should I be looking at a 17" to 18" sized frame for a 29er? I thought I read somewhere on these boards that you should move a size down when going to a 29er frame but I couldn't find info via the search.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:
You need to look at the TT length and STA numbers more than the seat tube length (the usual "frame size"). They have more to do with the fit of any frame/wheel size.
 

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oliver said:
Hey Oliver, is that Valentino Rossi in the pic on your avatar?
Yes That is The Doctor![/quote]

You have to give Nicky Hayden props for what he pulled off this year but Rossi is amazing. And he's done it year in adn year out on multiple bike brands. Anyway glad to see another MotoGP fan out there. I try to talk other types of racing with the guys at work and they can't see past NASCAR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
shiggy said:
You need to look at the TT length and STA numbers more than the seat tube length (the usual "frame size"). They have more to do with the fit of any frame/wheel size.
One bad thing about buying a frame online is that all the manufactures all seem to measure and size the frames differently. Surly, Fisher, Bianchi, Niner, and Vicious Cycles have all recommended that I ride a large. If you look at the Geometry on these bikes you would find that they are all way different. After riding them I would say that with some small adjustments and maybe a new stem or seat posts they all fit. They just handled much differently. 29er's generally use a new school of bike geometry with a longer top tube and the numbers may be way different from what you are used to. That does not mean the bike does not fit. Unless you are set on having a bike just like your old one, I would go into it with an open mind and realize that your new bike may not be the same as your old bike, it might be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Ratman said:
Yes That is The Doctor!
You have to give Nicky Hayden props for what he pulled off this year but Rossi is amazing. And he's done it year in adn year out on multiple bike brands. Anyway glad to see another MotoGP fan out there. I try to talk other types of racing with the guys at work and they can't see past NASCAR.[/quote]

Motogp, and WRC. The only way to fly. NASCAR is pure $h!t. Nickey is cool, but the only reason he is champ, is due to Rossi bike issues in the first half of the series. The RC212V is a turd for 2007. Watch out for Stoner on the Duck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Go to a couple bike shops who have the brands you are considering. Act like a buyer and ask them to size you. If you can't find the 29er version of a brand you like size yourself on a 26 inch frame and hope they run the same.
I ride a large Gary Fisher. A medium Intense and medium specialized.
If you are close to between sizes do the seat post and stem thing as mentioned above.

You may never ride your 26" bike again so you might as well sell it now and use the cash to buy a better 29er. Speeder
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top