Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im building up my first 29er, a Niner E.M.D., and had decided on a fox fork. originally, i was after the 100mm, but after having found great deals on both the 80 and the 120, im considering both of these as well. after reading the geometry on the niner site, they seems to recommend either 80 or 100, but no mention of 120. i know that 120mm 29er forks are relatively new, so i thought maybe this could be the reason, but im afraid to pull the trigger on one because it might wack out the geometry. i usually like the front end of my bikes to be a little higher anyway, as i dont typicall like that hunched over race crouch type position, and usually compensate with a longer/steeper stem. but if the bike were 20mm higher anyway, i might not need to.

so, if anyone has any thought/input id appreciate it!

thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no reason to go for the extra 20mm? would it wack out the geometry of the bike?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, how is the travel changed? i currently have a talas on another bike and there's an actual travel knob for the adjustment between 100-120-140. is it like that or i actually have to take it apart?

·
Registered
385 Posts
fox has a travel adjust on the f29? I was told I couldn't adjust the travel on my 2010 fox fit 100mm to 120mm, internally or otherwise.....so I sold the fork and purchased another with 120...please tell me i did this all for nothing?

·
Registered
333 Posts
the f29 80mm and 100mm are the same fork just the 80mm has a spacer installed (read up on it last night) if you can get a better deal on the 80 go for it if you want the 100 just do a ten min change and your 80mm could be 100mm

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, understood. simply remove the spacer. in terms of preference though, which would you go with? considering i like a higher front end anyway, why not get a longer fork and shorter stem, right?

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
DAnREal said:
the f29 80mm and 100mm are the same fork just the 80mm has a spacer installed (read up on it last night) if you can get a better deal on the 80 go for it if you want the 100 just do a ten min change and your 80mm could be 100mm
Do you know is this on all Fox F29s (80 & 100mm) or just the new 2010's?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wouldnt be able to speak for the 120mm or the change in geometry ive heard that you can hanlde alot better woth smaller forks what kinda trails are you going to be riding that you think you need 120mm?

·
Registered
473 Posts
From what I understand, the 80 and the 100 are the same fork, and is an easy switch between the two. These cannot go to 120.

However, the 120 can be dropped to 100 with the addition of a spacer, as I have done on one of mine.

I would buy the 120 and drop it to 100, that way you haver more travel if you want it. you could try to EMD at 120 to see how it works before you drop to 100. I dont think it would be ideal to run it at 120, as it will really affect the geometry, but if you like to run slacker angles and a higher BB, might work out for you. This will largely depend on the trails and terrain you are riding, and if this is to be a more "race" oriented bike.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TiRyder said:
This will largely depend on the trails and terrain you are riding, and if this is to be a more "race" oriented bike.
i was planning on riding it as a climber and descending some stuff thats a little chunky. plus, as said, i do like the taller front ends.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
lifeis11 said:
i was planning on riding it as a climber and descending some stuff thats a little chunky. plus, as said, i do like the taller front ends.
lifeis11,

I'm right in the middle of building up a LG Vassago Bandersnatch with a Fox 120mm QR15. I'm doing this not necessary because I like tall front ends (I don't), but simply to raise the BB a hair and slacken out the front end a bit-all to make the bike more comfortable in the descent department.
Unfortunately, no pics yet of the bike as the fork is enroute. But if you do a search, there's a photo of someone's green Jabberwocky on this site built up with a 120 fork (White Bro's I believe).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.