Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new at this so i dont know exactly the kind of riding i'll be doing. i just got a rockhopper 29er and i hear the first thing to go is the fork. what forks would you seasoned riders suggest?

·
Registered
155 Posts
tallB said:
i'm new at this so i dont know exactly the kind of riding i'll be doing. i just got a rockhopper 29er and i hear the first thing to go is the fork. what forks would you seasoned riders suggest?
That kinda depends on which fork you already have. Looking at the Specialized website it looks like there's two Rockhopper 29er models. If you have the Rockhopper with the Tora fork then that's more or less the same performance wise as the Rockshox Reba which has been one of the benchmark 29er forks for quite a while now. The main difference being that the Tora's a bit heavier due to more use of steel in place of lighter alloys. So if it's the case of a few grams I'd basically say - suck it up buddy :D. Right now your money is probably better spent elsewhere.

If however you have the Rockhopper with the Dart fork then that's one of the more basic 29er forks and could be worth an upgrade. The Reba I mentioned is very good and as it's been around a while there's lots of second hand ones available so could be the way to go. Other 29er forks such as those from White Brothers, Fox or Manitou will probably be significantly more expensive. For that sort of money I'd suggest waiting a bit to see what you end up riding and learn more about the bike you've bought. You might find something else that is worth upgrading first.

So:
If a Tora, keep it and ride it till it dies or you decide to buy a 2nd new 29er (yes, that tends to happen).
If a Dart, look at Rebas or wait and see what you think of the Rockhopper which you've got to know each other a bit more.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
If you have the Dart fork, there are good upgrades available. The current Reba's can be had cheaply because they are being redesigned for next year.
Speedgoat $365
Bike29 $369

That said, do you actually feel that your current fork is holding you back? If you are new to mountain biking I would suggest avoiding any expensive upgrades like a new fork until you get closer to the limits of your current setup and can actually tell that you are limited by your fork. Either that or when you break something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is the dart fork for those losing sleep over it. and like i said i'm new at this. i dont plan on replacing anything anytime soon, but i've just read some things about how this may be the first thing to go. i'm just trying to get a head start on possible solutions to future problems. i dont know if this makes any since but a little information has never hurt me. and it never hurts to be prepared.

also my size may cut the expected life of the fork because i'm 6'7" 210. i haven't even gotten it broken in yet mostly because a day or two after i got the bike i pulled a hamstring playing in my ultimate frisbee summer league.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.