Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fox 34 expertise, please

Suspension fork for a current Karate Monkey? I have a 2019 KM that I've ridden with a Vassago rigid and Reba fork in 100 and 120mm flavors. Most recently it's stayed at 100 mm.

Update:
Bike: current Karate Monkey can handle up to a 140mm fork.
New (to me) fork: 2016 Fox 34 Performance Elite, 140mm, lowers for 27.5+/29" tires, boost axle, Fit 4 damper.

I can ride everything just fine with little or no suspension, but I want to try this beefier fork. just not sure about the amount of travel. I can reduce the travel on the Fox to at least 120. If I want to go that route, does anyone know what specific air shaft from Fox I need?

What should I expect in terms of handling when I jump 40mm in travel? Can I adjust the settings in the fork so it rides lower in it's travel so the transition is not so harsh? or should I just embrace the long fork and send it, brah?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I have a Reba on my 29 race bike and a Pike on my 29 trail bike. Not surprisingly, the Pike is substantially better in terms of stiffness and big hit control but does feels very similar to the Reba in stroke. What bike is this going on? Hard tail or full suspension bike?

Reactions: mack_turtle

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Always hardtail (like the KM I mentioned above).
Sorry, I am thick today! I would do it. To me, the Reba is a race fork. The Karate Monkey is more of a trail bike that would benefit a Pike or a similar fork.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Have you considered the Revelation if concerned about cost?

My latest bike came with a 130mm Revelation. Wasn't sure about it, but it works nice. It's really a Pike with a lower end damper that can be upgraded later to make it a Pike. Its 35mm stantions make it pretty darn stable. When I'm riding in the Hill Country where you are, I usually remove all tokens and run 25-30% sag and wide open damper/rebound. Hides small bumps and feels nice and plush on the limestone down there. Keeps the front end planted when things are chunky/loose and has less tendency to wheelie on steep techy climbs. No "big hits" there to worry about bottoming out on.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered the Revelation if concerned about cost?
Yes, I think that's at the top of my list now. Never had issues with the MoCo damper on my Reba, but I think my riding has progressed enough that the flex in the Reba is holding me back just a bit. I am scouring the market for lightly used Revs and Fox 34s now.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Averse to used? Any particular brand you are set on?
Plenty of forks these days are 34/35mm stanchioned for their "trail" offerings. Look in the classifieds here and on PinkBike and you can find a pretty good variety of forks going for cheap (especially if you are looking for and like RS and FOX).

Other option would be to go with a different brand like Manitou, MRP, DVO or SR Suntour. All have good to great offerings for substantially cheaper than the RS/FOX variants. For instance, you can pick up a new Manitou Machete for about $500 or a new SR Suntour Raidon for $500 (plus they have a 20-25% off code going right now so if you are quick you could get for closer to $400).

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a line on a Manitou Magnum Comp fork. It's a Stache take-off for $150. How does the Magnum Comp compare to, say, a Revelation or Fox 34 Performance Elite? Looks like the Manitou requires special tools, and I don't let anyone work on my bike, so I'd have to buy or modify tools.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Manitou makes decent stuff, but the latest products from Fox and Rockshox are really great, and parts availability is never a problem. I think you should go with the Pike - its a proven chassis, parts are astonishingly easy to find, and they make a bleed kit you can buy to bleed/service the Charger damper.

I think the difference between that fork and your Reba will be night and day. The MoCo damper is not nearly as refined as the newer dampers, and on a hardtail you need all of the help from the fork that you can get. The biggest factor to me is the upgraded DebonAir spring - the spring curve is MUCH more refined than any of Rockshox's older forks, and its both more forgiving on the hands and also more supple to help traction.

On top of that, Pikes are easy to find online, and you can likely find a new 2018 fork for under $500.

·
Captain Climber
997 Posts
I'll keep an eye out fork a Pike.
LOL.. Pun intended?

I'll be curious to hear what you do. I'm in the same situation. I've got a 2014 Canfield Bros. Nimble 9 with a 2014 Reba RL (120mm) and I don't like this fork. I think I'd be happier with a rigid fork. It needed rebuilding right out of the box and only improved it a slight bit. This fork is so bad I am almost afraid to get another Rockshox. It has no small bump compliance.

My wife's bike is a 2017 Stache 7 with the Manitou Magnum on it. Right now I have it on my N9 with the 29+ wheel and tire. It is a nicer fork IMO but not all that much better. The big tire is great for the small bumps though.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
LOL.. Pun intended?

I'll be curious to hear what you do. I'm in the same situation. I've got a 2014 Canfield Bros. Nimble 9 with a 2014 Reba RL (120mm) and I don't like this fork. I think I'd be happier with a rigid fork. It needed rebuilding right out of the box and only improved it a slight bit. This fork is so bad I am almost afraid to get another Rockshox. It has no small bump compliance.

My wife's bike is a 2017 Stache 7 with the Manitou Magnum on it. Right now I have it on my N9 with the 29+ wheel and tire. It is a nicer fork IMO but not all that much better. The big tire is great for the small bumps though.
The REBA uses only a small amount of bath oil and because of that, should be serviced frequently. However, I find it has pretty good small bump compliance but quickly lets you know that you are being too aggressive or treating it improperly. It is a XC/race fork and never lets you forget that fact.

I have a Mattoc Pro (similar to the Magnum) and it is substantially better then my Reba or Pike. Pretty much the same small bump compliance as the Pike but with much better big hit performance that eggs you to go faster.

·
Underskilled
4,825 Posts
Surely I can't be the only one who dislikes pikes here?

Fox 34 grip is great, never seen a fork track the ground so well.

I'm a big manitou fan, their dampers are years ahead of the competition (as long as I ignore the grip).

Pike is only good for trail centres (where it is amazing), however the damper is awful on natural terrain.

I've never seen a fork that combines the discomfort of a stiff damper with a total lack of support. It's great on smooth trails with manufactured obstacles, but natural roots/rocks overwhelmed it. Most of this is the charger 1 damper (lyrik and pike). I've only had limited time on C2 (hospitalised myself early in ride) and never ridden C2.1.

Fox or manitou are hard to beat.
Suntour have some interesting kit, but not tried.

Reactions: mack_turtle

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Suntour, Manitou, and DVO make some great stuff that is tunable and user serviceable. I would go with a DVO Sapphire 34 with the reduced offset.

Reduced offset is great for many applications. It can really improve handling and stability b

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have a line on a Manitou Magnum Comp fork. It's a Stache take-off for $150. How does the Magnum Comp compare to, say, a Revelation or Fox 34 Performance Elite? Looks like the Manitou requires special tools, and I don't let anyone work on my bike, so I'd have to buy or modify tools.
The tools are no big deal, just need to grind down a deep 8mm socket to 10.1mm OD.

I was just riding a fox performance 34 and it was terrible compared to a Mattoc comp. It just couldn't soak up rough sections the way I wanted. Been a while since I have ridden a pike, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison for me to judge.

That said, the stache is a 29+ wheeled bike, so it's not the correct fork for your bike unless you want to run plus tires

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.That said, the stache is a 29+ wheeled bike, so it's not the correct fork for your bike unless you want to run plus tires
I should be able to run a 29x2.4 tire in a fork designed for a 3" tire, right? Of I decide to build a new wheel with a wide rim and fatter tire, I'll have lots of room for it. It will just have a lot of extra room in the meanwhile, I guess.

That's not my best option but I have not ruled it out.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I should be able to run a 29x2.4 tire in a fork designed for a 3" tire, right? Of I decide to build a new wheel with a wide rim and fatter tire, I'll have lots of room for it. It will just have a lot of extra room in the meanwhile, I guess.

That's not my best option but I have not ruled it out.
You can, but you will have an extra 22mm A2C for any given travel setting. For example, the 27.5+/29 version has a A2C of 509 @ 100mm and the 29+ is [email protected] 100mm. That's a significant difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.