Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Marin Headlands 2, Santa Cruz Stigmata, Marin DSX2
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a new 2011 King Kahuna frame and the HT is tapered 1 1/8 top and 1 1/5 bottom . Can I use a regolar 1 1/8 sterrer fork or I have to buy a tapered one?
I was thinking to get the Marzocchi 44 TST 2011 which is a very good fork for the price .
I think Cane Creek , Fsa and other makes headsets for that right?
What headseat do I need ?
thank you
ciao

·
Registered
592 Posts
italianbike74 said:
Hi,
I just bought a new 2011 King Kahuna frame and the HT is tapered 1 1/8 top and 1 1/5 bottom . Can I use a regolar 1 1/8 sterrer fork or I have to buy a tapered one?
I was thinking to get the Marzocchi 44 TST 2011 which is a very good fork for the price .
I think Cane Creek , Fsa and other makes headsets for that right?
What headseat do I need ?
thank you
ciao
You need to buy a fork with a tapered steer tube. I would personally recommend a Chris King or Cane Creek headset. On another note I think they might make a headset that will let you use a traditional fork with a 1 1/8 steerer tube.

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
you should definitely check out the Cane Creek Headset Finder

But to answer your question ... No you don't have to get the tapered fork, as long as you use the Zero stack lower headset cup. If you chose a tapered fork, then you'd need the external cup.

Per cane creek ( with their part numbers ) , assuming non-tapered fork:

Top Frame Standard:
SHIS:44 - 1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard
Bottom Frame Standard:

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
If you want a 100mm fork, this could be the best of both worlds for you:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42266

NOTE: With most models of this fork, you can change the travel from 100mm to 120mm or 140mm. I believe I have read that, unless you get a part or parts changed out, this is only a 100mm travel fork unlike most (or all) other variants of this model.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You can use a 1 1/8 fork with any number of reducing headsets ( external or not) I use a Chris king with a reducing crown race. I know CC makes a few models also. But...I did feel the difference in stiffness when I went with a tapered fork.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you don't have a clue WTF you're talking about, refrain from posting "helpful" advice that is absolutely wrong. As the others have said, he can use a straight 1.125" steerer fork, he just needs to pick which headset he wants as there are several to choose from.

Phil335 said:
You need to buy a fork with a tapered steer tube. I would personally recommend a Chris King or Cane Creek headset. On another note I think they might make a headset that will let you use a traditional fork with a 1 1/8 steerer tube.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
bingo! M-dub is correct. The only thing you need is a reducer headset for the bottom cup. There are plenty of brands that sell budget ones, and maybe even a replacement crown race to fit the headset on your frame.

You DON'T have to run a tapered fork, but you will have to run a tapered headset bottom cut, but it will require a reducer cup/plate or race.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
sennaster said:
you should definitely check out the Cane Creek Headset Finder

But to answer your question ... No you don't have to get the tapered fork, as long as you use the Zero stack lower headset cup. If you chose a tapered fork, then you'd need the external cup.

Per cane creek ( with their part numbers ) , assuming non-tapered fork:

Top Frame Standard:
Bottom Frame Standard:
No. The Kahuna line got a tapered headtube for 2011. That Cane Creek page doesn't have 2011 info for these bikes. A 44 lower cup will be too small.

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
LyNx said:
If you don't have a clue WTF you're talking about, refrain from posting "helpful" advice that is absolutely wrong.
No need to hold back - if someone is annoying you, just blurt that right out as always since this is the internet and no one is going to punch you in the face.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I will add a fine detail to the good answers here...

If you buy a headset that is ready for a tapered steerer, most of these headsets offer a reducer CROWN RACE for your 1-1/8" fork... This is almost always a sub-$10 part and allows you to switch to tapered in the future.

This in contrast to using a headset reducer CUP, which will require switching out your entire lower headset cup/bearing/race assembly if you decide to go tapered in the future.

Either way, it's not a disaster and it's not a big investment. The bottom line is that you can use either type of fork!

JMH

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Phil335 said:
C'mon guys, Its a mtn bike forum where we all talk about a hobby we enjoy.
Problem is that a lot of us are not enjoying our hobby right now. We're cooped up and getting fat and losing our conditioning, lower back may be nagging too. It will pass as surely as that fiery green tamale I ate last night... til then enjoy the spice.

I didn't think Phil335's initial comment was that unclear... but then I knew what he was talking about and he did give accurate info.

·
shut up legs
172 Posts
all great questions.....italianbike74 hasn't been back here to check on the vast knowledge bestowed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.