Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, my wife is 5'6.5". She is an avid runner but the constant pounding on the pavement has her knee starting to hurt a bit. We both got new Stumpjumper 26" FRSs in 2008. As my riding advanced I quickly turned to a less plush more XC oriented bike and eventually found myself on a Pivot 429. I love the bike as it is a very efficient climber and has made me much more confident on the downhills.

My wife complains that her Stumpjumper is too plush. She likes to climb out of the saddle and despite my efforts to firm up the suspension, she is getting frustrated by the inneficiency of the bike, especially while standing.

I'd like to get her a more efficient pedaling bike, but I'm a little concerned about a 4" XC 26" bike that might be too twitchy or sketchy for her on the downhills. She's not the best downhill or technical rider.

This leads me to a 29er for her. My only concern is whether it will work given her height and weight. She probably weighs between 125 and 130 with gear (probably closer to 125). Part of me is also concerned about how much the pedaling efficiency will be offset by her having to spin a bigger wheel.

Any thoughts/bike recommendations?

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and she ride the gt peace multi 29er, and a friend of hers who is 5'4" and ride a superfly 29er ss. So 5'6" shouldn't be a problem.

·
WNC Native
3,985 Posts
Take a look at the 15" Fisher Hifi's and Superfly 100. Climbing is very efficient and she would have no issues with fitting them.

Or if you're loyal to Spec, check out the Epic 29ers.

·
Type1Rider.org
89 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i'll chime in on the superfly for the wife. my wife is 5-7 and she rides my 17" superfly with a 90mm stem. it will be hers this spring when i get a different bike. she loves the stability of the big wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Has she ridden a 29er? My suspicion is that once she tries one she won't want to go back.

My fiance is 5'3" / 105lbs and fell in love with my Air9 (size: small) after I let her ride it once. She refuses to ride 26ers now and infact has transitioned from 3x9 to 2x9 to 1x9. She's running 1x9 (32x11-34t) on a small Salsa El Mariachi and LOVES it. With that gear ratio she tends to power through climbs while standing and is FAST. I also ride a Pivot 429 and discussed teh issue of going full suspension. She wasn't interested at all. She doesn't go insane on the downhills and is very much XC oriented. She'd rather have the weight benefit and efficiency of a HT.

At your wife's height she'll have no problem finding a frame to fit. Kona makes a really short TT (22.5") in their size small. Salsa is around 22.7" and Niner around 23 or 23.1" (?). She'll be fine on any of them.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
997 Posts
looking at all these post i am getting a little nervous about sizing the 1st 29er for my wife.

my wife is 5'8" and i ordered a small jet9 with 23.1" ETT (between small and medium superfly).

have i ordered a too small frame?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread ...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hellocook said:
looking at all these post i am getting a little nervous about sizing the 1st 29er for my wife.

my wife is 5'8" and i ordered a small jet9 with 23.1" ETT (between small and medium superfly).

have i ordered a too small frame?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread ...
From the little bit of research that I have done you should be ok with a small stem adjustment. This assumes she is normally proportioned.

·
Registered
997 Posts
actually, a little shorter upper body and longer legs. i don't think arms are overly long.

her current frame is a M palomino with a 70mm stem and i would say she is a little stretched on it. I am not sure how to compare ETT from the Palomino due to the crazy seat tube angle (and with her relatively long legs she has a lot of seat post). I thought a shorter position will give her additional stability on technical trails.

The M Jet9 with 23.75 ETT appeared too much to me. The Turner M has the ETT of a S Niner, therefore I decided to go for the S Niner.

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
5' 6" is on the verge of short for a 29er. Probably a medium with a 22" TT. Here are my thoughts after bith my son (5' 7") and I have ridden alot of 9ers and own 3. Hard tails look at the headtube angle. Avoid the Gary Fishers with the G2 on a 29er as they can be really squirrelly, especially on fast decents. Stay with a 2009 or newer bike as drastic changes took place in geometry. Specialized makes a really nice handling 9er with a slack head tube, but the Felt models offer a slightly steeper head tube for a better over all feel and they ride nicer and cost less. Personally I would avoid full Suspension at her height, too heavy, and long, tall etc. Gearing you are going to be in trouble. The groupies have not caught up with the 10% ratio difference of the 9ers. So what you rode in 22/32 will have to be 22/35 or 22/36, so try to pick up gearing with a 22/32/42 front and a minimum of a 12/34 rear if not a 12/36. Good Luck
John

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
From the sounds of things, she'd be perfect for an Epic. Unfortunately, Specialized decided to not make Small 29er Epics. I'm in the same boat for my wife, so will likely wind up getting her a GF Hi Fly.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
Hey Moderator! Wake up!

This thread is another weekly repeat asking the same question, "Am (fill in blank) too short for a 29er?" The questions are always the same and the answers are always the same. Sadly, there are still bad info getting posted as answer (see getjohn's on 5'6" maybe being too short).

Please Mods, just consolidate this into a FAQ on 29ers and be done with it.:madman:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all ! I am a little confused (as usual) This thread started out that she was not pleased with the suspension set-up on the stumpy and we ended up talking about 29er's . 29er's are great (I have 3 ) but shouldnt we have offered tips to help with getting the stumpy set-up with less bob ? Just off the top of my head I would say prob a little more air pressure front and rear and more rebound damping also ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.