Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a geared Maxlight set up as a SS courtesy of a Surly Singulator.

I've been looking into getting a committed SS (no particular reason!) but this whole 29er movement has got my attention.

Having looked at the geometry of some 29er bikes and compared my 31" inside leg measurement, in order to be safe in the standover department, I reckon I'd be looking at a 'small' size with most bikes. (whereas I, generally, ride a medium with 26ers)

Are 29er's generally biased toward the taller / longer rider?

·
Registered
140 Posts
unclenorm said:
Yes.

That said, there's no good reason why someone smaller "can't" ride a 29er. You might find the big wheels screw up the geometry somewhat, but a well-designed 29er can probably fix this. Check out the Surly Karate Monkey, they claim to have designed-away these issues for the non-apelike folk. And of course, the obvious advice: demo.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess if they make Small frame sizes then they can only be aimed at not so long / tall riders.

I guess the only riders at a real disadvantage are those that would normally ride a small 26er.

Demo is always a good idea, but here in the UK, the 29er movement doesn't seem so up and running as it does across the pond. Especially in our LBS's

I won't rule one out yet; at least not until I've managed to get a demo on a suitable sized frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam as well. I purchased a small DosNiner because of the standover issue and ended up with a frame that is just plain too short. It's a great bike, but in order to get enough standover, I can't get enough length in the top tube and the front end comes up on steep climbs. I am selling the Dos and switching to a Niner Air9. Niner bikes offer a lot of standover and I am still able to get the correct top tube length. I am a fairly small person and I feel that the benefits of the 29" wheels can be had by just about anyone over 5'4" or so. Like the other posters said, go ride one and see what you think.

Cheers:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am 5'4 with a 28 inch inseam. The only fit issues I would have had would be bar height and standover. Meaning, My bar would probably be much higher then my seat due to suspension corrected frames and I like a lil extra clearance over the top tube.

I have found that many custom builders like to make non suspension corrected frames/forks for people of my size though I doubt you would have any issues fitting a stock frame.

Definitely demo some bikes and see what you think. A couple complete bikes are on the market with more coming out soon! Three frames that i wouldn't hesitate to purchase would be the Soma Juice(added standover), Surly Karate Monkey(can't beat a Surly), and the Q-ball(handmade and painted in Michigan).

Sir Nine you say? That frame looks super nice and Niner seems like a great company to support.

Have fun:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Frame size really depends on the maker (geometry is all a little different). I'm 5'9" and have a 31 inseam. My Salsa Dos Niner is a 16 (small) and my Fisher Paragon is a 17.6 (med). The paragon is set up as a single speed (with ENO rear hub, which I highly recommend getting if you are going with a single speed but may want to run geared at times). I prefer the larger frame with the single speed because of all the out of seat riding I do. The Salsa is actually a perfect fit, but seems a little tight when I stand to climb (been thinking about getting a longer stem).

Been VERY happy with both bikes!:thumbsup:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Sir 9...

unclenorm said:
I currently have a geared Maxlight set up as a SS courtesy of a Surly Singulator.

I've been looking into getting a committed SS (no particular reason!) but this whole 29er movement has got my attention.

Having looked at the geometry of some 29er bikes and compared my 31" inside leg measurement, in order to be safe in the standover department, I reckon I'd be looking at a 'small' size with most bikes. (whereas I, generally, ride a medium with 26ers)

I am short [5-4"] and the SIR 9 I ride is perfect. For my size I should be on the small size frame, but I prefer the medium, which is what I ride.

The geometry on the SIR 9 is perfect for both short and tall riders. It has a low TT that gives nice SO clearance to your family jewels.. :)

The steel frame is nicely compliant, even set up as a rigid SS, or it can be run as a geared front suspension bike.

Ask anyone who has ridden or owns one how good they are. :thumbsup:

For a production frame, they are outstanding. I love riding mine.

R.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Unclenorm, I have (well, OK my girlfriend has) as small 29er that you could test ride. It is based round a medium sized Bontrager and IIRC my GF has a 30" inside leg so not that far off. Its a custom frame but will give you some idea of what to look for and a base-line to refer back to.

I am in the Gloucestershire area and have plenty of good riding on the doorstep. Email me if you want to arrange something.

Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.