Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'8" and currently researching hardtail mountain bikes (steel or titanium). Do you think a 29er is a practical choice for someone my height? Would some of the advantages be negated by my somewhat short stature? I know it shouldn't matter but do you think I would look like a total dork riding one?

On another note, I was strongly considering purchasing a titanium 26er Motobecane Ti Fly via bikesdirect but they were out of my size. Why does bikedirect not sell steel bikes?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just picked up a KHS solo one SE 29er. I'm about 5'9 (30.5 inseam), so not much taller than you, and I really like the ride of my 29er. I haven't gotten too much trail experience on it, but I took it out on some rocky, mildly technical trails and it was a lot of fun. Keep in mind, I'm running rigid, SS. Anywho, I felt that it rolled over stuff well and the big wheels felt very stable and glued to the ground. You should definitely ride one and see how it feels. Don't worry about how you'll look. I kind of thought I would look funny too, like the geometry would have to look weird to accomodate a smaller frame and larger wheels, but I fit fine on a medium and I don't have an insane amount of seat post or a nut scraper.

As far as the BD question goes...can't tell you. I must depher to the many other MTB gurus on the forum (respectfully bows).

G

·
wazmoot said:
I'm 5'8" and currently researching hardtail mountain bikes (steel or titanium). Do you think a 29er is a practical choice for someone my height? Would some of the advantages be negated by my somewhat short stature? I know it shouldn't matter but do you think I would look like a total dork riding one?

On another note, I was strongly considering purchasing a titanium 26er Motobecane Ti Fly via bikesdirect but they were out of my size. Why does bikedirect not sell steel bikes?
you work for bikes direct

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.