Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me - 6'6", 290lbs. I typically ride rough city streets (the street is rough, not the city :) ) and some non-technical singletrack.

I'm looking at two bikes. An XL rigid Karate Monkey on Bontrager Mustangs/DT Onyx hubs (tubeless) or the Raleigh XXIX+G.

Both are priced closely. Which would be a better selection?

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
I'm about your size...

And I have the Monkey (I'm 6'5" 280 at my biggest) and it is great, not a noodle at all. BUT those wheels might be a bit noodly... That's just my 2cents. I run Rhyno Lites and 36 hole Shimano Hubs, really solid and strong feeling. Hell if you kill the rims (Mavericks) you still have NICE hubs to use again...

·
Registered
364 Posts
My KM

I'm 6'5", 310lbs.

I just finished building up my Karate Monkey.

I think she's about as bombproof as a KM can get --

Shimano Saint Cranks
Kris Holm rims, Hope Pro 2 Hubs (MikeSee wheels)
She comes in at about 32lbs with Avid BB7s and odyssey BMX pedals.
Prolly never going to put a suspension fork on her!
Running exis for now, going to get some rampages.

Taking her out to Tamarancho next week to break her in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another clyde voting for the KM. I am 6'6" 280lbs and ride a SS Karate Monkey. My Monkey has a WB Suspension fork, Kris Holm rims laced to DT Swiss Freeride hubs (also built by Mike C) running Weirwolfs. Weight is 29lbs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
beanfink said:
Hey RedXJ, do you have a 22" KM? 100mm fork? How do the two play together? Any standover clearance?
Yes, no. It is the 22" XL size but I am only running a 80mm WB BW.8 fork. I am planning to put a On One carbon fork on there shortly (as soon as I can get one). Standover problems? not for me. I can stand over the bike barefoot with room to spare. FYI rest of the build is Shimano BB, WI Eno crank, Surly cog, Endless spacer kit, Bonty seatpost, cheap Aireon saddle (might put one of my Brooks saddles on there), Thomson stem, King headset, cheap Ti risers ($25 on the 'bay), Ourys, Magura Marta 160mm brakes, and an Ahearne cycles Spaceman flask holder.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I've got both of 'em!

I've got a KM and a XXIX+G. I don't tip the scales as hard as some of you, (240 el-bees) but I ain't no light weight either.

Seems to me that either frame would be fine. For the type of riding that the original poster says he's going to do, ( street and easy XC) I don't think he would have any problem with either bike.

Possible issues: Reba at that weight might not be a good marriage. Street riding and non-technical XC would be okay, probably.

XXIX+G wheels are not bad, but a KM build with Kris Holm rims and decent hubs, as mentioned before, would smoke any stock wheel set for strength.

Bonus points for the XXIX+G since you are getting the parts cheaper than you could buying them one at a time for a custom build.

My vote would be for the KM since it's got fender and rack braze ons that the XXIX+G doesn't have and that might prove valuable to this guy as a street bike rider. Plus, the bike can be spec'ed for his weight, especially in the wheel department.

The Raleigh is a sweet bike, and probably would be just fine, but the KM's versatility wins out in the end.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Clyde 29er Forks

One option that would work well with a Clyde KM would be to get WB to put together a Magic 80 with the thru-axle and reinforced crown from the Fluid 130. They can do that! For a price...

I'd love to see Rock Shox do a 29er version of their Pike fork, or for Marzocchi to do an All-Mountain 29er.

The new Manitou forks seem to combine features that I like (120mm travel, thru-axle, XC-friendly damping), but I'm waiting for some glowing reviews.

I bet we'll be seeing some much more attractive products in the next couple of years. It just stands to reason that a lot of tall guys are getting 29ers, and a lot of tall guys happen to be clydes... yanno?

·
Registered
122 Posts
One option for riding the streets on daily basis and doing also some easy short xc rides would be just to keep the KMs own rigid fork. It's more comfy than you think when you put there some wide nice front tire. And it's cheap way to starts. After that it's easy to compare and check some other springy options.

I'm almost 6'3" and 220. Not a big clyde but still have long legs and ride 22" monkey. Now during the winter using the rigid fork but last summer used Reba at 100mm position and the bike handled way better then with Reba at 80mm position if the trail just wasn't something really twisty and technical..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.