Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding 26er for three years and switched over to 29er and loved it at first but now im noticing the extra wheel and front fork flex, I have a reba sl fork. I ride eastern alot of tree roots and rocks and the trails are rough and i have a f/s frame its practically new all pivots are tight. Im 6 foot and like the feel of siting on the 29er, it fits alot better than the 26er bikes ive had

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I find the Reba SL very flexy too, I've heard going to a thru axle helps a lot (yup, new fork, which is why I haven't done it yet) going to a 3 cross (was using a 2 cross) lacing helped me along with using Velocity's P-35 wicked wide rims... did ad a bit of weight but it helped getting rid of the Shimano hubs help me the most, I hate loose bearing hubs, they just never seen to stay in the right spot and always end up too tight or too loose, pain.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It took 36 spoke wheels for me to really eliminate the flex (245 lbs.), along with a thru-axle fork. A large volume front tire like the WTB Weiwolf LT 2.55 or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 at around 26-28 psi. is good for blasting thru roots and rocks too - I learned this from riding a fully rigid 29er.

Without spending alot of money you can start by running higher spoke tension. And add a 9mm thru-axle up front - that is if you have a convertible front hub like a Hope Pro II. This helped out alot on one of my bikes with a Reba SL and 32 spoke wheels.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
It's not called flex. It's called lateral suspension. It's a lot like vertical suspension. Sometimes it works for you. Sometimes it works against you. If you wrap your mind around it and learn to go with it you might like it ... or not.

·
Registered
498 Posts
bsdc said:
It's not called flex. It's called lateral suspension. It's a lot like vertical suspension. Sometimes it works for you. Sometimes it works against you. If you wrap your mind around it and learn to go with it you might like it ... or not.
With the right setup "it" doesn't have to be there. A 29er shouldn't be any more flexy than a 26er. And wxc300 has finally found a bike that fits him - just tweak or swap the components to suit your size,weight and style and you'll really love your new bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK, so you are trying, but your trolling skills are weak :rolleyes:

If you weren't trolling you would have stated what FS frame, how heavy you are, if it's an older '08< fork or the new 09> with power buldges, wheelset, lacing patern, spokes used, did you build it yourself?

wxc300 said:
I was riding 26er for three years and switched over to 29er and loved it at first but now im noticing the extra wheel and front fork flex, I have a reba sl fork. I ride eastern alot of tree roots and rocks and the trails are rough and i have a f/s frame its practically new all pivots are tight. Im 6 foot and like the feel of siting on the 29er, it fits alot better than the 26er bikes ive had

·
Registered
473 Posts
LyNx said:

If you weren't trolling you would have stated what FS frame, how heavy you are, if it's an older '08< fork or the new 09> with power buldges, wheelset, lacing patern, spokes used, did you build it yourself?
Why are you such an a$$hole?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
TiRyder said:
Why are you such an a$$hole?
Seconded. Seems like an honest post with real concerns to me. Lynx seems to make some far reaching assumptions in a lot of his posts.

I didn't used to notice much flex in my HiFi, but when I finally railed some very high speed corners on smooth, fast descending single track it was apparent but only in the rear. It isn't really enough to bother me or affect my riding though. I think it would be different if I were feeling it in the front end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The frame is a 2009 Voo Doo Canzo I did not want to bad mouth the frame is why I did not mention it and the Reba is a 2008. My friend just bought a 2009 Trek ex8 and I rode it and noticed how his bike doesnt have the flex like mine. I know bigger wheels and longer forks are going to flex more.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
wxc300 said:
The frame is a 2009 Voo Doo Canzo I did not want to bad mouth the frame is why I did not mention it and the Reba is a 2008. My friend just bought a 2009 Trek ex8 and I rode it and noticed how his bike doesnt have the flex like mine. I know bigger wheels and longer forks are going to flex more.
as Lynx hinted at, the Reba was redesigned after 2008 because of its bad reputation for being flexy. Newer Reba's are supposed to be much stiffer

·
Formerly of Kent
12,930 Posts
BWG said:
Without spending alot of money you can start by running higher spoke tension. And add a 9mm thru-axle up front - that is if you have a convertible front hub like a Hope Pro II. This helped out alot on one of my bikes with a Reba SL and 32 spoke wheels.
Sorry, but spoke tension has nothing to do with wheel flex. Raising or lowering spoke tension will not change the lateral flexibility he feels in his wheels.

·
Plays with tools
4,648 Posts
I run an 09 reba team with the oversized DT rws through bolt that is pictured above and I don't find the fork to be flexy at 200#. Then again everything around the fork is pretty damn solid. If you have a hub that can be adapted to a through bolt (hope, DT, king?) you should try that for ~$50 before you start getting wheels or a new fork

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Reba's are fine, I was noticing Flex or something on my Reba SL after 3years+ while using it on a new frame, putting the same wheel onto the rigid and no flex at all ( 36 spoke Halo Freedom running high spoke tension ), running a 26" DH wheel in the Reba SL 29 currently, it feels stiff as again.

To sum it up my issue was, to slack of an angle causing the 29" wheel to flop around gyroscopic issues, a 26" wheel will do the same but not till around 65degrees.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Le Duke said:
Sorry, but spoke tension has nothing to do with wheel flex. Raising or lowering spoke tension will not change the lateral flexibility he feels in his wheels.
Sorry too, but spoke tension seems to make a big difference for me - especially when I weighed 265+. Also using butted or straight guage spokes can be fealt, and seen in durability as to wether they break or not, along with spoke count as I mentioned above.

My '09 Reba feels much stiffer,and lighter, to me than my old '07 did.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I see so many people riding around with 20mm axles going yeah my setup is really stiff and spokes so lose the rim is just flopping around and they don't seem to notice.

Or Weight Wennie 24spoke setups, crazy.

Guess there just dumb enough to not have a clue what's going on on there bike and keep riding regardless.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I can relate!!

I had the older version RIP-9, and Reba QR fork, and sold it because it flexed like a noodle all over the place compared to a 26" wheeled Motolite, even though the Motolite also had a QR Talas fork.

I am now building up a Behemoth and from my lesson learned I am getting Hadley 36 hole hubs and Flow rims, with a 20mm thru-axle Reba. That, and the stiffer frame should be worlds better.:thumbsup:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
How about axial suspension?

bsdc said:
I rode an older Niner SIR9 once, and it felt like the bars were rocking side to side in relation to the saddle/BB... as if the frame was twisting down the long axis.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,333 Posts
BWG said:
Sorry too, but spoke tension seems to make a big difference for me - especially when I weighed 265+. Also using butted or straight guage spokes can be fealt, and seen in durability as to wether they break or not, along with spoke count as I mentioned above.
The wheels might feel different, but it ain't stiffness you're feeling in either case.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
What?

LyNx said:

Twenty nine inch bikes do flex more. Think about it! This isn't rocket science.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,930 Posts
BWG said:

My '09 Reba feels much stiffer,and lighter, to me than my old '07 did.
If that's the case, I'd send your bike to NASA, ESA, MIT, or one of the particle accelerators. I'm sure they'd love to take a look at it, as it apparently defies what decades (centuries) of physics and engineering have taught us. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts