Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay dokay I'm looking to probably get an Inbred but the top tube seems short compared to many other for an 18". Wish they had a "middle" size between the 18" and the 21" which would make my choice easier. This will be my first 29'er. Instinct tells me to go to the smallest frame I fit comfortably on...so the 18". But want to see what people have to say.

I live in Colorado Springs and ride some pretty wide open trails, but go for singletrack and tight stuff (sometimes steep) whevever I can find it. I'll be taking it back to the midwest to ride tight singletrack as well.

Current bikes are a 20" Surly 1x1 and a large Ellsworth Truth for 26" wheel rigs. Also have a Pinarrello Cross 60cm.

Also anyone with a frame/fork (rigid) available PM me if you think it may fit.

-Jon

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Look at the Fishers' sizing. Sure, they set the standard in long toptubes, but their L is hardly shorter than the Inbred 21". Don't make yourself end up with a cramped position and a 120mm stem. The only difference between the 2 sizes is the toptube. Handling won't be any different. Well, the 21" will be better at endo's and such, but that's logical.
juansevo said:
Okay dokay I'm looking to probably get an Inbred but the top tube seems short compared to many other for an 18". Wish they had a "middle" size between the 18" and the 21" which would make my choice easier. This will be my first 29'er. Instinct tells me to go to the smallest frame I fit comfortably on...so the 18". But want to see what people have to say.

I live in Colorado Springs and ride some pretty wide open trails, but go for singletrack and tight stuff (sometimes steep) whevever I can find it. I'll be taking it back to the midwest to ride tight singletrack as well.

Current bikes are a 20" Surly 1x1 and a large Ellsworth Truth for 26" wheel rigs. Also have a Pinarrello Cross 60cm.

-Jon

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I agree

Cloxxki said:
Look at the Fishers' sizing. Sure, they set the standard in long toptubes, but their L is hardly shorter than the Inbred 21". Don't make yourself end up with a cramped position and a 120mm stem. The only difference between the 2 sizes is the toptube. Handling won't be any different. Well, the 21" will be better at endo's and such, but that's logical.
A XL Sugar and Rig for me (We are the same size)

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Juansevo,

I'm about the same size as you and I ride a custom bike with a 24" (610mm) ETT, and a 100mm stem. This is a 710mm reach. Now the math

23.6" -> 600mm + 110mm stem
25.2 -> 640mm + 70mm stem

I would probably get the 18" unless I was sold on running some mary bars, or bars with a lot of sweep, and then it might be worth getting the 21" running a 90 mm stem, and a mary bar....

I don't know if there is a good answer for me or you. If they had a 19.5" frame at 24.5 inches--where do I sign up?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The WaltWorks frameset I am selling would be an excellent fit for you. I am 6' tall with a 32" jeans inseam (85cm pubic bone height, 75cm saddle height), and the 20" frame is a little big for me, so I am getting one with a shorter seat tube and more standover clearance. Sorry for the spam, just another option for you.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
juansevo said:

-Jon
The 18" Inbred and 20" 1x1 have the same seat angle and the same effective TT length. I see no fit problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.