Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Advanced Slacker
15,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my fenders from my 26" hardtail on my new Karate Monkey and found they do not do the trick. The front fender does not come back far enough, so I get completely sprayed in the face (and everywhere else), and the rear is not long enough to keep all the mud off. It prevents direct spray, but it is just short enough so that a bit of mud can arc up and land on my head and back.

So, what fenders are big enough for 29er wheels? Also, I need something WIDE for my Nevegal and Rampage.

Thanks
Kapusta

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I'd go looking for the widest 700c touring fender set you can find. Look for a flexible mounting system as well. Of course the front will not work if you are running a sus fork.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I've got SKS fenders on all three of my 29"ers. In front, the Shockboard fits both my KM and WB forks just fine, and I never have overspray problems (even at 30 mph) except my feet getting splashed by deep puddles. Shockboard won't fit on the Reba because Poploc cable interferes with it. In back I use the SKS X-Blade, and as long as I adjust it down reasonably close to the tire it's long enough to prevent most of the rooster tail from hitting me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think any full length fender other than a custom one is going to fit over a Nevegal. My 50mm wide Berthoud's just clear a 700x42 IRC Mythos semislick.

Best option for off road riding are the plastic type which clamp under the down tube and to your seatpost.

Sam

·
Registered
769 Posts
Take a set of THE fenders. When you mount the front, put the rear part on the front, and the front part on the rear ( of the mount, not the bike). Punch a hole in the rear fender, cut off the amount you need from your old 26" fender, and punch a hole in that. You Now bolt the two together, making it longer. These fenders "The" are wide enough for ANY 29" tire out there. I have gone a little farther with mine, but I don't have pics of the finished product yet.

I've seen so many fenders flapping around, and not really doing the job. This is the best set up I've had on a bike since my old Acerbis fenders back in 1991. Anybody seen those old Acerbis around, I'd love to have another set of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.