Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
If you're looking to keep the mud off your rump on trail, I recommend something like this
http://www.speedgoat.com/productB.asp?part=135818&cat=8&brand=1218.

I got a set very similar to this in the UK last year (I'll have to check the brand but the LBS I bought them at is reworking their website) and they work very well for my 29er. The front straps on with O-rings and the rear mounts to the seatpost and is adjustable on the angle. The only I dislike is that I actually have to tremove my seat post from the frame to install it but I'm fine with that.

The brand I have starts with a "C" but I just can't think of it right now and I'm at work so they're not nearby.

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
I use the Topeak DeFender FX. I don't know if it is 29"er specific, but clears the tires on my Monocog and does a pretty good job keeping the mud off. Broke the front mount in a crash and Topeak promptly sent a replacement. Hard to argue with that. The rear fender clamp has to be really tight for it not to shift around in technical bouncing around. Here is a pic from a muddy winter ride.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Planet Bike Cascadia 29ers

I got my set of Cascadia 29er's directly from Planet Bike. On a whim I got a set of the limited edition run of 10 pink fenders. Most of the time this bike tows around my daughter so I figure it's fitting anyway.

Sorry about the crap photos, the bike is tucked in the basement with all the soil samples currently..

Plum

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Hjalti where to buy those online?
@Brontoxt too cruisy- good for a treeking/cruiser bike and too wimpy for a 29er
@k2biker aren't they too short for a 29er?
Rear kit features a quick release clamp system to fit most seatposts (26.8mm-31.6mm) and an adjustable length to fit 18"-26" wheel sizes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Plum,
How do you have your rear rack mounted? Would you mind taking a close up? From the pics I can't tell if you've got rack mounts or you've done something more creative. To answer the OP, planet bike cascadia gets another vote.
Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fenders are for commuters. Period.

Well, okay, but.

I've been mountain biking since 1995. I've always used fenders here in the Pacific NW, incl. on my full suspension bikes. I'm building up a 29er "winter bike" HT which will have fenders. Plum's "full road" style fenders won't be so good on our local trails but I will find something that works. My main priorities are first, protecting my face from squirrel s**t, second, protecting the front derailleur from whatever comes off the back tire. I'll be interested to hear what people think works best with the big wheels. On a couple bikes I used a piece of sheet plastic zip tied to the seat tube to protect the front DR. It looked kind of agricultural, but it worked. THE moto style fender combined with a downtube "mudslide" type thing also worked, and seem to me to be independent of wheel size. Thanks, I'd love to hear more about what people have experienced in this regard.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts

Attachments

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
bigsam said:
Plum,
How do you have your rear rack mounted? Would you mind taking a close up? From the pics I can't tell if you've got rack mounts or you've done something more creative.
Thanks.
It's really crowded on my drop outs, I have a ton of stuff mounted down there. On this particular frame, I have a set of rack 'eyelets' in the dropout plate, just in front of the disc brake mount. In addition, I have another set of normal eyelets on the back of the dropout, that my fenders are mounted on.

My rack is mounted to the seat stays using a couple of plastic brackets made for flashing lights to be attached there, similar to a 'p' clamp but a little beefier.

My rear disc only leaves me a tiny bit of room for the rack stanchions, but it fits. I have to lean it a little forward to clear, but it works. Attached are a couple of crappy pics showing my arrangement.

On the non-drive side, I currently have a disc caliper, fender stays, rear rack stanchion and an extra long skewer with Chariot attachment. Kind of a cluster.

FTR, I do take the fenders off for out of town trips where this bike sees trails, but when I'm at home, I have another bike without fenders/racks thats better suited. Jeff Jones made up a set of braces for fenders of this nature that he said were a big improvement and eliminated most tire rubs. If I rode somewhere really muddy, I'd call him up to see about a set of those..

Plum

Attachments

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
@ k2biker. Are they-29" version- as thick as 26" version? I've gotten a response from chainrea... that for instance SKS that X-blades in 700c version have gotten skinnied down to current cross tyres.
Can't speak for the differences in the 26 v 29 version. I bought what Action Bikes had in the store and they work great covering my 29er Kenda Klaw's. Until I researched for my last post on this thread, I didn't realize there were different sizes from Crud Catcher. Not sure I realized there were different size fenders period except for commuter style! Shows what I know.

I will say this, 29ers in the UK are not prolific yet so the LBS' don't stock items that are 29er specific, which is why I didn't pay attention to size. I held 'em up to my bike (which I'd ridden to the Embankment shop) and they covered the rear wheel. They're slightly adjustable -- the angle that is -- so you can make it work. You see how mine was set up and it worked very well -- nothing worked great that weekend as you can imagine from seeing my bike. Many looked worse so I was pleased.

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.