Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve decided to race on a niner next year. I’m used to a very aggressive xc setup (inverted stem, fixed saddle position, 4” of travel front and rear). I’ve been running a Blur XC this season, but am switching to Specialized due to a special deal I get on pricing. I race Nor-Cal trail, with a lot of chunk, loose and rough with steep descents and technical climbs. The Stumpjumper was my first thought, but I’m wondering if I could get away with using the Epic and save a little weight. I race endurance and xc, with more emphasis on endurance.

Any way I slice it I’ll still have the Blur, so maybe that’s another incentive to choose the Stumpy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have much time on an epic but have raced an S-Works Stumpjumper 26" for the last year. I love it and will be racing it in a 24 solo in a few weeks. However, I'm also ordering an Epic 29er for the spring xc race season.

I've heard that any race over 6 hours and you may like the stumpy better.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Hi, I've decided to race on a niner next year. I'm used to a very aggressive xc setup (inverted stem, fixed saddle position, 4" of travel front and rear). I've been running a Blur XC this season, but am switching to Specialized due to a special deal I get on pricing. I race Nor-Cal trail, with a lot of chunk, loose and rough with steep descents and technical climbs. The Stumpjumper was my first thought, but I'm wondering if I could get away with using the Epic and save a little weight. I race endurance and xc, with more emphasis on endurance.

Any way I slice it I'll still have the Blur, so maybe that's another incentive to choose the Stumpy.
Nothing like trying both options. The 2011-12 Epic 29er's have a more "active" 4-link suspension than previous models which gives them better traction and makes them less "harsh" than previous models. The Blur XC is a nice bike, but the 23er Epic is another level again.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
The Epic climbs like a mountain goat, the brain is amazing, try one on your regular trail, some dealers have demo (test bikes) or rental bikes. Trying them should tell you what works best for you.
The Epic 29 was the first 29er to win the World Championship this year.
Happy Trails

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.