Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shaq Fu
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am building up a 29er wheelset geared towards offroad cycletouring. To start, I weight 215lbs. There will be an additional load of either a BOB trailer or front & rear panniers depending on the ride. Perhaps both, with mainly a food and clothing load in panniers should that be the case.

I am using some 36 hole Shimano XT M756 hubs (silver) and probably DT Swiss Alpine III triple butted spokes, also silver.

What I was hoping for is some suggestions for suitable 36 hole rims. Ideally these will be silver or mostly silver at least. Weight is not too much of a concern. Strength and field durability is the most important.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Salsa Horsethief; Mone La Roca (V1)
844 Posts
I think some Sun Rynolites or WTB Dual Duty FRs would do nicely. I have a set of Dual Duty XCs and they are silver machined braking surface with black on the inside of the rim around the spoke holes. You may also want to look at some Mavic 717s or 719s, assuming you'll not be hitting big drops with your loaded BOB :D .

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
6thElement said:
Mavic 719's?

The Mavic 719 is likely the best choice for 36H touring. I run a 36H Mavic A719 on the rear my heavy duty cargo/city rig, it's still a great wheel after two years, straight and true.
There aren't a whole lot of choices for 36H. I'd also suggest the Salsa Semi if you wanted something a bit wider (30mm vs. the 24mm A719). Sun Rhynolites are an option, but I'd prefer the welded seams of the A719 and Semi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts