Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil bro is riding to and from work on a '13 Rockhopper with Ground Controls front and rear which i imagine is not ideal. He's got i think a 200+ foot climb on the way back.

I was wondering what you would recommend to replace them with that are of equal weight (670g) or less. I'm not familiar with the 29er world of tires yet.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
They're 700c rims, throw a pair of road skinnies on. Continental Gatorskins are some of the best in terms of puncture protection, and will be a good sight lighter. Even the wider 32mm tires are about half that weight.

·
Older than I feel
1,762 Posts
One of the varieties of Schwalbe Marathon would be my choice. My commuter has Marathon Supremes, 28mm front, 35mm rear.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since it is 29er/700c I wonder if he could find some cheap and really light wheels not intended for offroad to further drop rotational?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Those will be fine, if he's hopping curbs n such, wider/more volume is better, so I'd get the 37's (I just started using a set of these, great so far). I like schwalbe tires (big apple 2.0 or marathon's) but they're pricey. Another option is some semi slicks in the 45mm range.
I wasn't sure about the 700c part. I guess make sure the tire is wider than the rim?

I was thinking about these:
Continental Contact Tire at BikeTiresDirect

700c x 32mm - Reflective @ 550g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts