Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, you will sell more of these units than you ever sold RFXs (which I gleefully own) or Rails (maybe combined).

The 29er crowd will also pay more than $949, probably on the magnitude of DOUBLE, to get a capable 29er FS frame from a reputable builder. They are the proverbial early adopter set and will gladly spend cheddar on promising product.

C'mon, you know you want to.

You. Are. Da. Man.

Don't let us down. I will buy the first one. Just no tacky PC rear ends...polished only please. Oh yeah, and make that front triangle ano in royal blue.

Sean

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'm sure you saw that post from DT regarding his take on 29"ers. Nevertheless I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope when the mysterious "4th" new bike was alluded to a couple weeks ago. To add to the Spot, Rail, DHR we knew of the Nitrous, Flux, and Highline. The only possible vacancies I saw in this lineup were a 29"er and 6" bike. Unfortunately for us (especially since we both already have an RFX!) it will be the 6 Pack. On the bright side, I really can't see where else Turner could expand their line in the future without doing a 29er...

PS: If I were DT I wouldn't worry too much about aesthetics for the 29"er crowd if that time ever comes- look how many of us are on Fishers!

·
climb
2,293 Posts
8 years ago I purchased my first MTB (steel HT). 4 years ago I purchased my second MTB (steel HT). This year I'm buying a FS. My final choices were 5-spot, Burner, or Blur. I was about to get the 949 Burner special from Larry, then I ended up pulling the trigger on a Lenz... If my MTB schedule continues to holds--maybe DT will be making a 29 FS in 2008 and I'll be ready to buy :)...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Whats wrong with the Lenz or a Titus?

I would think that both of these manufactuers qualify as "reputable" and their products are available right now. I've ridden the Speedgoat Asylum, and I must say, that thing is a locomotive. Problem was I couldn't swing the cash for a new fork and wheels too, so I got a 26" RX 100, also a rather formidible machine.

Is the issue that you want something with greater travel? I admit, a 4x4 Turner 29er would be awesome. I think it would be too much bike for my riding, but awesome nonetheless.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Soupboy said:
Seriously, you will sell more of these units than you ever sold RFXs (which I gleefully own) or Rails (maybe combined).

The 29er crowd will also pay more than $949, probably on the magnitude of DOUBLE, to get a capable 29er FS frame from a reputable builder. They are the proverbial early adopter set and will gladly spend cheddar on promising product.

C'mon, you know you want to.

You. Are. Da. Man.

Don't let us down. I will buy the first one. Just no tacky PC rear ends...polished only please. Oh yeah, and make that front triangle ano in royal blue.

Sean
I dont think you get DT Sean. Based on his posts on this forum ,this is a guy who just loves to ride mountain bikes as much as any of us. The bikes that he makes are the bikes that he enjoys riding. I dont think he makes bikes just because he sees a market niche for that bike. I gather from his posts on the subjects that he tried 29'ers and decided that he preferred 26 inch so that is what Turner will build.
I tried 29'er myself and didnt much like it, but I know some who really like them.
Its not like there arent some great choices in 29'er suspension bikes out there (racerX comes to mind).

KR

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think you get me Airborn Marsupial...

...I'm just staying on Dave to build a 29er off the Burner platform. I've read his posts, thanks. Even heard back directly via email as is his very cool MO. All else being equal, I would prefer to stay loyal to the cause and have my 29er FS be a Turner. Don't you READ my posts? Me likey Turner.

The Titus 29er is nice, but I believe only available in Ti and only as a custom build. I've discussed the Asylum at length with Chris at Speedgoat and understand all of my 29er FS options Lenz, Titus/Asylum, Airborne, and GF (puke). The Asylum is also only available in one size. I like both the Asylum and Leviathan, but before I drop yet more coin on new bikes I will continue to (fruitlessly) push Turner for a bit to give it a shot. As for Turner filling market niches - uhh, err, hello RFX and Rail.

Dave knows bikes. Dave makes great bikes. I want Dave to make a 29er Burner. This is the Turner board...right? I believe Dave would sell more than his fair share, and at an acceptable profit, to the 29er crowd.

If he wasn't paying even a little bit of attention to the "market" vs. his personal tastes, my guess is they'd still be making XCEs and RFXs, not the ubiquitous, and quite sweet, 5-Spot.

BTW - 29ers ain't a fad bruvah...so stop trying to move my cheese. We're all friends, right?

Sean

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sign me up too...

" Don't you READ my posts? Me likey Turner....I believe Dave would sell more than his fair share, and at an acceptable profit, to the 29er crowd."

Where do I send the cash?

I've also got an RFX, and I'm just wondering if a 29 inch wheel will fit in the rear, then thrown on a White Bros 29 inch fork....

I did that with my Ellsworth Joker and am having a blast on it as a singlespeed.

I ride my Asylum with gears.

I'm all for Turner 29 inchers, but the real issue for me is the tire availability. We need BIGGER MEAT, in my view.

Ken

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Soupboy said:
...I'm just staying on Dave to build a 29er off the Burner platform. I've read his posts, thanks. Even heard back directly via email as is his very cool MO. All else being equal, I would prefer to stay loyal to the cause and have my 29er FS be a Turner. Don't you READ my posts? Me likey Turner.

The Titus 29er is nice, but I believe only available in Ti and only as a custom build. I've discussed the Asylum at length with Chris at Speedgoat and understand all of my 29er FS options Lenz, Titus/Asylum, Airborne, and GF (puke). The Asylum is also only available in one size. I like both the Asylum and Leviathan, but before I drop yet more coin on new bikes I will continue to (fruitlessly) push Turner for a bit to give it a shot. As for Turner filling market niches - uhh, err, hello RFX and Rail.

Dave knows bikes. Dave makes great bikes. I want Dave to make a 29er Burner. This is the Turner board...right? I believe Dave would sell more than his fair share, and at an acceptable profit, to the 29er crowd.

If he wasn't paying even a little bit of attention to the "market" vs. his personal tastes, my guess is they'd still be making XCEs and RFXs, not the ubiquitous, and quite sweet, 5-Spot.

BTW - 29ers ain't a fad bruvah...so stop trying to move my cheese. We're all friends, right?

Sean
Point taken Sean, but if I was into 29'ers I would want someone to build one who actually rode them, but I guess that is what test riders are for!
Maybe if you are really lucky Dave will one day call you and ask you if you want to be a 29'er tester!
I dont think 29'ers are a fad, but they arent for everyone either (but neither are Turners)

Kevin

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are that dead set on a 29'er, make one! This is aluminum not brain surgery. If you can not cut and weld yourself, there are plenty of people who can do incredible work. For the amount of time you have already spent asking DT to make one you could have already been done.

Nate

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
Please NO 29ers. I have enought trouble figuring out what bike to ride in the morning now. Not to mention another bike in less than a couple of years would likely put me on the sofa permantley. :D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, lemme see...

...posting a few messages versus building a 29er FS frame from scratch. You're right, - tomayto, tomahto - I could be riding one today.

Sheeyat, I might even consider a 29er ID or Moment - gasp! - but I'd rather be on a Turner than an Ellsworth (tried that, it died) if I had the option.

PF - you seem to know some pretty handy people. If you know a good custom one-off frame builder that can match Turner quality and design please forward me their contact info. Never seen too many people experimenting with Al FS designs - plenty of HT steel folks those...

I agree - where is that 700x2.4" Motoraptor dammit!

Sean

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another 29er FS option....

I'm sure you've heard of Vicious Cycles, they're a big name in small quantity steel bikes, built here in the states. For 2004 they came out with this thing called 'The Groover.' It's a full susupension bike, steel front triangle, Racer X 100 rear end, purchased right from Titus. They're awesomely finished bikes, pretty colors, polished or painted rears, ULTRA laterally stiff, and really not heavy at all. Well, they announced that for 2005, they'll have a 29er option. Again, steel front, Titus rear. Based on this, it would suprise me if the Racer X 29er was a Ti only option. I'd be pretty certain they also had it in Al.

But, something to think about, if you're really after a 4" FS 29er. Do some investigation, two people that I work with have groovers. They're really sweet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts