Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to build a FS 29er. I live in the Ozarks and have access to an abundance of awesome trails. Lots of rock gardens grueling climbs and fun descents. Im new to the sport I have been riding for two weeks, all my buddies have been at it for 7-10 years and they finally got me to try it and I am all in. Luckily I have been able to ride a lot of high end bikes. Titus El Guapo, Intense Tracer, Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT and a Motobecane. I am 5'10" and weigh around 210 pounds. The frames I am considering are the Pivot Mach 429, Intense Tracer 29, Diamondback Sortie 29 Black and the Turner Sultan. Im leaning towards the Pivot but any advice would be appreciated

On another note these are the only frame brands for Mountain Bikes my LBS deals in(as well as Fuji and Raliegh) we are all extremely loyal to him. His customer service and bike tuning is second to none and his prices are unbeatable so that's why those are the frame models I am looking at.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
There are two perspectives to look at this..Do you want a XC bike that will be more "climb happy" and efficient or do you want a burly all-mountain that will allow you to get away with making some mistakes or take bad lines and get away with it?

They are both great bikes that are well build and up to the task of handling your soon to be slimming 210lb.

I have rode Syllamo MTB trails, I don't know if this is your backyard or not, but when I rode there it was a mix. Some trails were definitely refined and more XC, and some had some gnar going on. I got away with 120mm Blur Classic at the time when I rode there, and that bike handled what I was riding....your trails may be different.

I say if your riding is going to be "faster paced" with more climbing along with epic distances and you won't be jumping, the 429 will pay dividends, but if you are riding a bit more rugged terrain, the Tracer 29 is your better choice.

I would say that the Pivot is a bit more refined in design and probably has a better company to back you if you ever have issues, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking on the Pivot, we ride The Berryman, Rock Bridge, Binder, Warsaw(Truman Lake), and Honey Run. Im in south central Missouri. Have not been to Syllamo yet but all my buddies have been there. They also just opened a new trail in Branson called the White River Trail. Im only 2 weeks in so my skill set is very limited and have crashed a lot. At least Im learning how to get up dust off and keep going.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
enjoy the ride.

Don't really have any positive input on FS. Seeing how I prefer a HT. Always nice to see a fellow Ozark cycliest on here. :thumbsup: Enjoy the ride.

BTW.....care to share the name of the bike shop. Might have to swing in sometime.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you're a newb, it sounds like you're a step ahead. The only advice I can give a a fellow clyde is to buy the frame fits you best and replace wheels as need be. You're lucky to have a support group! Take advantage of it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.