Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a 2014 Airborne Goblin and the stock wheels really didn't like my 417lbs on top of them. My LBS told me that was common with a guy my size and a 29" wheel. Can they be built for a guy my size? My LBS mechanic was sorta clueless since he only deals with buck fitty guys.

So my question is what 29er wheels do I build? I have no clue and open to suggestions. What rims/hubs and spokes? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
MTX 33's are commonly stated as the strongest rim. I'm not sure how carbon rims compare but MTX's are cheap.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I second the MTx33 rim...build them on some Chris King hubs and you're set. I also had great lick with Hope hubs. There's others but those are what I have personal experience with...up to 320 pounds at one point.

As far as spokes...get the rims/hubs in a 36h and use some double butted 14/15/14 DT Swiss Comp. or DT Swiss 13g Champion spokes. Make sure the rims are hand built as well.

You might contact Mike Curiak at Lacemine29.com. He's the 29er wheel builder extraordinaire...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
MTX 33 are the standard as they're strong and stout while being cheap. My understanding is that Mike also purchased Salsa's remaining stock of Gordo 29er rims which are more expensive but also IMO a little nicer of a rim.

And while Salsa was adamant that you don't use them for tubeless (thank you QBP lawyers)...they are actually very much a tubeless ready shape with well documented success.
salsa_gordo_disc_29er.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have Velocity Blunts laced with DT Swiss Comp X 36 with White Industry Hubs.

I would NOT recommend the White Industry Hubs...they do not engage fast enough for my liking.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
As far as what's readily available, the MTX-33's are the go-to option. Go with at double butted spokes (you don't want stiffness, you want strength), and you might be needing a stouter hub depending if you pedal and spin or just torque through stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Mike Curiak. He has built several 29" wheels for me and I have not put a spoke wrench on one of them. I have went as much as 260 plus 20 or so pounds for my hydration pack.

Send Mike a e-mail. He will do you right!

Wayne

·
Registered
126 Posts
Curious about something like this for the op.....
I see they weigh a ton, but maybe less issues for us big people?
I'm 275+ and haven't wrecked my wheels - yet!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Curious about something like this for the op.....
I see they weigh a ton, but maybe less issues for us big people?
I'm 275+ and haven't wrecked my wheels - yet!
No...been there, done that in the mountain bike world (Spin, Spinergy). They ride like crap, are heavy, and aren't repairable.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd bet that a set of Flows would do just fine, but learning to pick your line and some finesse will come in time, and that will make any wheel hold up better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts