Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am looking at getting a 29er which I was told would be a good idea b/c of my size (6'4" 175lb) with a budget of around 500. No racing, some single track, lots of gravel roads and wider trails. But my question has to do with baby seats, which I am going to want on there every now and then. Do they attach easily to HT 29ers? Any specific I should look at?

Feel free to comment on the bike purchase as well. I am a long time roadie and will still spend much of my time/assets there.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Baby seats on bikes just don't seem that safe to me. Even just a tip over from a stand-still could mean unspeakable events.

I just use a trailer. Mine is made by Chariot, but there are plenty of others around.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Get the i-bert! Mounts to the steer tube under the stem. My daughter and I put lots of miles on it once she was big enough. Once we got it our Burley trailer collected dust.

We even took a minor spill on it and we both came away without a scratch! Helmets 100% of the time!

·
Registered
429 Posts
We never considered a baby seat for safety reasons. Chariots are a little spendy, but you can use it for 4 years and then resalde for maybe half it's purchase price. Plus, you can use it as a stroller if you like to walk sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of safety tips. I'm not bombing down hills with the little guy, just strolling around while at the beach and on the local bike path. The carts don't make sense for traveling.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I second the iBert. I had one for our daughter. We used to do (slow) laps of the local BMX track with it. She loved it because she could see what I saw instead of looking at my back.

From a safety standpoint, the seat puts your kid in the "cavity" between your arms and chest.

We also had a rear-rack mounted seat and it was hideous. The weight is high up and just made the bike feel top-heavy.

The iBert will also work on ANY frame design (HT, fully, 26/650B/29) as long as you have the requisite spare steerer tube.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I used the Ibert seat, It's good you can keep an eye on them, They get to see everything.

But you can't shut them up they like it so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another vote for the iBert! Of all the options out there, I felt it was the best and it came highly recommended by a respected LBS here. I take my son on slow rides around a local park's paved paths and also do some tame off-roading. I think it works especially well on my mountain bike since he essentially sits on top of the suspension fork which must make for a pretty smooth ride. The iBert does not seem to throw off balance that much, but getting used to the riding position takes a little time. With the geometry of my bike, the iBert requires me to "straddle" the seat a bit more than I would like, but I believe I can make some adjustments to improve things.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The iBert is awesome. We loved ours and I was sad the day that he was too big for it.

I mounted mine on my Long Haul Trucker with albatross bars, and my Pugsley with flat bars, and there was never a moment that I felt he was unsafe. Once, in a clumsy moment, when I was getting off the bike, the front wheel washed out, but I still easily held him just by keeping my hands on the handlebars.

Oh and it is way, way, way, way more enjoyable for a toddler than a trailer is.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used a bobike mini until she outgrew it, then switched to a topeak rear seat. There are more front mounted options on the market than there were then though.

Trailers are great for people not confident in their riding, or for those who view their kids as baggage.

-------------

Anyway, there's nothing really 29er specific about this question.

If you want a front-mounted seat, you will need to pay attention to how it attaches and make sure it will work for your bike. Many rear mounted seats will require rack mounts.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
...Trailers are great for people not confident in their riding, or for those who view their kids as baggage...
That's like saying people with iBerts view their kids as airbags, or hood ornaments. :rolleyes:

So are you saying you will NEVER crash with your kid on the bike? Are you saying that the kid is safer in an open bike seat high above the ground than in a trailer protected by metal bars maybe a foot off the ground?

·
Registered
429 Posts
JeffS;9622471 Trailers are great for people not confident in their riding said:
That's me! I've only been riding 40 years, and I'm still not good enough to be 100% sure nothing odd could happen with a kid up high on my bike. Maybe when I ride a few more years I'll be as good as you.

And in a way, I view my kid as baggage. The fun they have in a trailer or on a bikeseat is greatly exaggerated by most parents. Too often parents think kids are having the time of their lives riding in a trailer or behind or in a seat. More often than not, it's more about the parents wanting to ride for selfish reasons.

We expose our little guy to all sorts of risks, as long as we feel it is worth it--at three he would BBQ by himself, use sharp knives, go skiing and learn to ride a bike without training wheels. We felt the benefits of riding in a bike seat are too small to justify the risk.

I'm not telling you what to do, just think twice before insulting others choices.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's like saying people with iBerts view their kids as airbags, or hood ornaments. :rolleyes:

So are you saying you will NEVER crash with your kid on the bike? Are you saying that the kid is safer in an open bike seat high above the ground than in a trailer protected by metal bars maybe a foot off the ground?
I ride with my daughter because I want to spend time with her. If you have never ridden with a kid in a front seat I doubt you would understand. They talk, they point, make sounds etc. It is interactive. It's the same reason I carried my daughter instead of putting her in a stroller.

I don't apologize for my luggage comment. I believe it is very much appropriate. Are you riding with your child, or are you just carrying them along?

I don't really argue with the fearful. There's rarely any logic behind it. The same people that tell me how dangerous a bicycle is strap their kid in a car every day.

2007 child deaths
Motor Vehicle 6,683
Drowning 1,056
Fire/Burn 544
Poisoning 972
Suffocation/Strangulation 1,263

1 - 20 of 35 Posts