Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow bike breakers. I'm in the process of ordering a hand built 29er hardtail all mountain rig. I've been doing a bit of research as to what fork to run. Unfortunately being a 29er as you all know we're severely limited by choice.

Now as a Clydesdale @ 6' 7" 250lbs I think that I place even more stress on your typical fork. So what do ya think? I'd appreciate any feedback. What fork are you running and how has it held up for you.

Thanks to all who contribute.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have used a bunch of them, but am about 50 pounds lighter. Thru axle is the way to go. Lefty is nice, but you are limited in terms of travel. Of the Reba w\Maxle, Minute thru axle, and White Brothers thru axle the Reba seems flexiest. The Minute and WB (they felt stiff enough to not notice any issues) both felt good. WB Fluid 110 or Manitou Minute in 100 or 120mm would be a good choice.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've got the drake super air 29er 120mm TA. I'm 6'4" and 310 lbs. Been holding up well, but i've only got about 100 miles on it. I don't do drops, but I'm not a smooth rider. I beat the fork and its held up so far. I love the platform adjustment.

·
Registered
919 Posts
zarr said:
I been looking at that Manitou Drake 29er thru- axle at jensonusa.com.
It's a great deal, and mine felt pretty good out of the box, and better after about 6 hours. After maybe 20 hours, I spent another $50 and put the Absolute+ damper in, and it now feels comparable to any fork I've ridden (including my well-broken-in and Push-rebuilt Van 36 RC2). The lockout is extremely easy, and effective. I'm 195 lb w/o gear, will drop up to about 4' to flat on the Sultan, and run about 35 psi in the air assist.

I'd recommend the Drake with Absolute+ to anyone (and especially Clydes), unless you must spend more. The one thing I don't like is the hex axle removal (five bolts, 4 and 6mm hex keys req'd), but I seldom have to do it.

One thing to be aware of is the variation in a2c lengths. For 120mm forks:
Fox = 521mm
RS = 526mm
Man = 530mm
In my case, I wanted additional height, so the Drake and a Cane Creek S-3 Plus 5 headset put me 14mm higher than a Fox F29 with standard headset.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Fox F29

Is a rocking fork that even a HUGE dude can ride on. I bet the boys get off the darn trail when you come a rockin'. :) The F29 with a 15 millimeter is very plush, easy to set up, and durable. I love my bad boy. I have the tapered one and I have no clue if that helps stiffness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.