Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to replace Stans Flow EX rims. They’re going on a hardtail so I have decided against carbon. I have heard the new Stans rims have gone the direction of light weight instead of durability. I’ve read multiple reports of cracking rims around eyelets.

Haven’t shopped for rims in years but I know things have come along way and brands like Spank and DT have really upped their a game.

Looking for a couple recommendations to look at, 28 to 30mm internal width seems right... 200 LB rider, mainly trail riding with tons of roots and somewhat rocky terrain. Having a set of rims laced up isn’t cheap so I’d like something durable. The lighter the better, as long as they’re durable.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the dt swiss ex 511 and xm 481. I have personal experience treating both poorly (180lbs, extremely advanced, aggressive riding style on rocky terrain) without a single wobble or issue. I've also had good luck with the raceface ar30 offset wheels, although they are soft and need truing more often then i'd like, but they stand up to some pretty terrible treatment (they live as my park set on my megatower).

Some of my partners on the race team have been playing with the spank products and they seem to like them. I'm intrigued but I feel their wheelsets are a bit heavier then i'd like.

I also have to give a shoutout to speedtunedwheels. https://speedtunedwheels.com/ Disclaimer: they have sponsored our race team in the past, but no longer do I had a set of their exile wheels with their hubs and was very very happy with them. You can get them for 450 before shipping and they are a bulletproof 30mm iw set that comes in at just under 1800g.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Spank is pretty good IMO. I have been using one on the rear of my hardtail in rocky terrain no problem and know a couple other guys running them for quite a while.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet to hear spank is cranking out quality. I had their early Oozy rims and one rim had a bit of a flat spot out of the box. My wheel builder got them mostly round but a small flat spot remained.

I’m not going to abandon my Hope hubs so complete wheels aren’t in the cards - or the budget.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Reactions: mnigro

·
Rocks belong
5,371 Posts
Spank 350 (or vibro core if you want additonal durability plus the 'muted' ride feel ~ 50g weight penalty/rim) should suit you just fine. I've got one on the back of my slack, steel 29er hardtail and I like it. One caveat: you might have to re-tension/true after the first few rides - that's normal for Spank's new 'vertically compliant' rims. I've read a few reviews and they mention needing to do this and that the wheels have been rock solid. My experience was the same.

I've also had tremendous luck with Spank's Oozy 345 (30mm internal) and Spike Race33 (28mm internal) rims. I have carbon wheels for daily use on my trail bike and Oozy 345 front/Spike Race33 rear for bike park/shuttling and general hooligan use.

Another option to consider, is carbon front/alloy rear. That is what I'm running on my hardtail and I really like it. Nextie carbon front/Spank 350 (non-vibro core) rear.

·
This place needs an enema
17,093 Posts
WTB has a few good i29 options.

I like the RF rims but they seem more likely to dent. Small sample size so far though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So, which did you choose? Just curious as I put in an order from prowheelbuilder for RF arc 30 offsets on hope pro4 hubs myself that are replacing WTB rims on novatec hubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.