Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Small Block 8 in the rear and a Nevegal in the front. Both are 2.1’s. I just started playing around with my new ride and am dialing everything in. I weigh in at about 215 and was looking to short cut the trial and error process. Is anybody in my boat that can offer up a psi recommendation and reason? I know I will only get close with a suggestion but I was curious as to what others were doing. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
kona kula 2-9 set up as a ss, nevegal 2.1's front and rear, 25 - 28 psi both tires...but i'm 145. i ride on rocks mostly (french creek state park) but have run them as low as 20 if on a trail with less rock. the bike is also fully rigid so there is no give like on a full squishy.

·
Administrator
11,966 Posts
30lbs is a good baseline. I judge accordingly to how sketchy they feel in hard sticky corners and that depends on the tire of course and how many close calls with rocks to rims I get per ride. I like to keep them at about 1 per ride front and none rear.

I ride a rigid with rampage/saguro combo in arizona with tubes and probably around your weight with gear.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
28 front (ardent) / 32 rear (python) both tubeless - but I tailor it to the trail. My home trail is really rooty so any less and I'll bottom on the rim too often.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I run the same pressure as Nitrousjunky on my Monocog Flight with tubes. Weirwolf 2.55 up front, Nanoraptor 2.1 in the rear. Only other difference is that I'm 260 geared up. I've never pinched and never felt the wheel bottom out. More of it is going to depend on your terrain and your ability to pick a decent line rather than what everybody else is doing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am 150 lbs

Exiwolf frt at 20 PSI
Crossmark Rr at 20 PSI

I was running the small block 8, but the sidewalls are just too flimsy for me. You can definitely feel the difference.

You should start around 30 and then go down from there till you feel like you are hitting rim on your particular trail, then go up a couple pounds.

I was a little surprised by how high many of the pressures were posted here. I can see the 180+ guys going higher pressures, but if you are 150-160 range I would think you would be under 30. I am riding in Tx which is nothing but sharp rocks and tons of ledges. I was running 33 with tubes.

I say go as low as you can go, thats the point of tubeless as far as I am concerned. To me, it smooths out the trail and on a 29er it seems you can run considerably LESS pressure than a 26.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
200lbs(damned holiday food)

present 29" setup is:
front - WTB Stout, 35 psi, tube
rear - WTB WW, 37-40 psi, tube

narrower tires i run higher pressure. it enables me to go faster through rougher terrain without fear of pinch flatting or damaging my rim. if you only ride fairly smooth terrain, are much smoother and/or lighter than me, want to go slower than you're capable of through rough terrain, or are slow, low psi with tubes will probably work fine for you. otherwise go tubeless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.