Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of making the switch to 29er and hope I can get some help with some questions. I'm 6'4", 220lbs and currently ride an '08 Giant Trance. I ride mostly in eastern Virginia on twisty but not rocky singletrack with occasional jaunts to the mountains with more rocks. I like to hit some wooden jump features at my local trails with the biggest I hit about 3.5' to flat. Some bigger ones but to sloping landings. My questions are:

1. Will the 29er wheels hold up to this?

2. Will tight cornering be a problem as I will need an XL frame?

The bikes I'm considering are the Tallboy, Epic, Stumpjumper, and Pivot Mach 429.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
628 Posts
G'day Bob

There are a number of wheels that will hold you. If you buy a complete bike, it may or may not come with one of those. Velocity P35 and another by Halo, the model escapes my memory, come to mind for all mountain riding.

I ride a Salsa Big Mama. Not an AM bike, but probably the longest and heaviest XC dually out there. I just got back from a ride I do regularly that has a few climb and descend switchbacks. It goes great and I never have trouble in tight spots at all. The more relaxed AM geometry may make a small difference but I couldn't see it being enough to stop you going to a 29er.

As for which bike, the right one will show itself. I note though that going by what you have been riding and the choices you have put forward as possible replacements, you seem to be wanting to replace a slacker AM bike with an XC 29er. I'm in Australia and am sure there are plenty of people closer to you that can help recomend a more like for like change over. Lenz Leviathan comes to my mind.

Good luck with it. I don't think you'll regret the change.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Appreciate the feedback. I have one of the older Trance bikes, 4" travel, 70.5 head angle so it's more XC. I was going to try and ride a demo next spring but I've been looking and getting the fever...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here. I'm kind of new in the Mountain Bike world here, I ride a last year's Trek 4500 and a friend suggested I try a 29er. I'm 6'4" and go about 250. A good choice? I've been scouting some bike sites and I see a few out there, but I have to admit, I'm lost. I'm not looking to race the bike or anything like that so I have no need to spend a ton of cash, but I do want something reliable.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Salsa Big Mama is a great choice for Clydesdale riders wanting a XC/Trail bike. It's amazing how stiff the frame is. You can just stand and mash on the pedals and not feel flex. The picture shows the bottom bracket and how much extra material is reinforcing it.

The 100mm of suspension is plush, efficient and I haven't felt any harsh bottoming out.

I was able to build up my XL frame with Clydesdale friendly parts just under 29 pounds including pedals.

If you want a complete bike, Bikeman has them on sale for $2,471

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
"I'm thinking of making the switch to 29er..."

My friend converted to a 29er and his not looking back! It’s a common affect. He rides a Niner W.F.O. 9 and he claims “it’s a stiff, smooth ride”. He’s a big rider (6’4” 235lbs) and the bike seems to handle him with ease. Niner Bikes advertises that “Whatever your needs, from aggressive all mountain to big hit, the W.F.O. 9 will keep you pinned all the way down some the gnarliest terrain you can throw at it.” There is more info at the website, http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=93

Some dealers are offering a W.F.O. 9 holiday special this month; there was an ad on the MTBR website but I have not seen in a while. It’s called the Niner W.F.O. 9 Party Pack ($2099) and the deal includes:
W.F.O. 9 (135) frame
Fox RP23 rear shock
Marzocchi fork
Shimano direct mount front derailleur
Kodiak tires (a pair)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just wanted to add a couple of things, Bob, as I got the impression you were riding more AM, which, as you say, turns out not to be so.

Had I not missunderstood, I would have been more willing to recomend the Big Mama. It's a great bike. As well as the Bikeman recomendation above from pushinpixels, Speedgoat has what they call their XT bike (Big Mama) on special aswell and could be a good price comparison.

As part of your research you may like to try clicking on "Advanced Search" at the top of the page and try search thread titles only in the 29er forum for "Big Mama" and then again in the Salsa forum. I did this before buying and it will return plenty of good threads to look at.

I am almost the same weight as you. I run Velocity Blunt rims and ghetto tubeless WTB Nano Raptors and the bike handles amazingly well. The P35 and Stan's flows are tubeless approved and there are plenty of other good, strong rims out there.

Again, good luck. Take your time.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So, I convinced a close friend of mine who stands about 6' 3" and weighs about 245 to try a 29er. He has since sold his Trance and now owns 2 Gary Fisher HTs (one geared and one single speed) and doesn't miss his trance one bit. On both of his bikes he runs 08 Race X Lite wheels and the wheels are holding up fine on both bikes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much appreciated

All,

Appreciate all the great feedback. I admit I've been looking over the online offerings (speedgoat, bikeman, etc.) but I've been dealing with one LBS for 19 years and they've always taken care of me. They are dealers for Specialized, Giant, Fuji, GT, Cdale. I've been thinking hard about the Epic 29er. I had a 2001 Epic but traded it for the Trance as the brain was too harsh for my over 50 body. I'm thinking that with the 29er wheels and redesigned brain it may be ok though. Seems like a good 9er platform as alot of folks think hardtail 9ers are the way to go. The epic would seem to blend both. As I said, I am more XC as my local trails in eastern Virginia are not rocky or very technical. I also am tempted to wait and see what else Giant and Cdale come out with next year in FS 9ers, you know it's coming. I'm thinking a 9er Scalpel with Lefty will be the lightest 9er FS when they make it. I can personally attest to the lefty being as stiff laterally/torsionally as a Fox with 15QR.

Thanks Again,
Bob:thumbsup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
hobiesmith said:
there was a xl lenzsport lunchbox bike for sale a couple months ago for sale. it was a one off, *****in bike.
Yeah, I tried to buy that bike, but was apparantly minutes too late. Maybe a heavier duty bike than I really needed, though, and I ended up finding a used DW Sultan frame, which I would recommend to just about anyone as a trail/AM bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all ! I ride a stumpy comp 29er and couldnt be more pleased . I am 225 lbs (was 260 lbs ) and have had no issues . Keep in mind the highest drop to flat I do is only about 2 feet or so . It is an 09 model......good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
My buddy Krob and I went to the Inter bike show this last sept at bootleg canyon and got to demo a sh#t load of new bike the PBJ was one of the 29er that we tride.
This is a Thread that krob put together on that trip . LenzSport PBJ 7.0 7" 29er FR/DH

I'm admittedly interested in the whole twenty-niner movement after riding several offerings at previous bike demos, but never really felt the need for 6" AM 29er, let alone a 29er DH bike. Folks may ask the question why.... but after riding this bike, I say why not. Without the dreams, vision, and bulldog determination to bring this bike to market by Devin Lenz and mikesee it probably wouldn't have happened. "There's no suitable wheels", they said, so mike built some. "There's no suitable DH tires", they said, so mike harangued, cajoled, and worked tirelessly (no pun intended) to get WTB to produce a 29" 2.5 inch dual sidewall DH appropriate tire (The Dissent 2.5... very grippy and not particularly slow). "There's no suitable fork for a 7" 29er", they said, so they got Manitou to modify the Durado and reduce it to 7" to balance out the rear.

What they arrived at is one amazing piece of equipment. The plush, controlled 7" of travel with big, wide, meaty, tough tires just steamrolls bouldery rough terrain yet pedals better than many smaller bikes. The wheels did not feel overly sluggish on accellerating but seemed to want to roll and just keep rolling. It may sound like I'm spouting 29er platitudes but it's really the only way to describe the way the PBJ rolls. In fact, after stepping off this bike onto th ASR-7, the Yeti felt like it was going through wet cement at first. The PBJ is very smooth. Perhaps not quite as smooooooth over downhill chop and chatter as I was expecting but after talking to mikesee and reading his intitial write-up on this bike my expectations were off the charts so that may account for some of that.

The other thing that is amazing about this bike is the efficient manner at which it scales hills. I mean, there was no getting around the fact that it was a 39 lb DH sled with a low seat, but standing climbs were deceptively easy and little pedaling effort seemed to be wasted. The wheels did not flex. Period. Get over it.

Air time was very balanced and landings were plush although I almost dragged my rear end on the big rear tire on launching one 4 footer and I did manage to bottom the fork on the same landing despite a fairly steep tranny. Russell managed to drag his fanny on the tire on the same drop, bottomed hard then launched over the bars after hitting the drop with too much speed and landing to flat more like 6-8 feet down. He was a bit ginger (understatement) after that but I can't totally fault the bike. I'm sure Russ would agree that there was some rider error involved.

Does the bike have a point? Heck yeah. I think it's a very viable option. Will it have a market? It's hard to say. Seems like most folks who were the early 29er adaptors are curmudgeonly XC fully ridgid, fixy, SS converts and only recently are more mainstream riders getting into the 29er love and there's a long way to go to sell the FR/DH set.... But I daresay, Devin will sell a few of these.....especially if they get a chance to sample it. It's pretty cool.

This is a very compact, stiff frame. I loved the single chainring and guide. The chain stayed glued to the cogs and created very little if any slap.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
BiknBob said:
Wow, great price!
Even better at Speedgoat for $1995. Of course, they have the XT build with the better Fox fork as well for $2495 and a SRAM X.9 build with Reba for $2759.

I will also say that the Niner W.F.O. Party Pack for $2099 which has the frame, fork, front derailleur, tires, headset is a very sweet deal now extended until December 31st. Priced out separately, that's about $1000 +/- in savings over buying everything piecemeal. Although those tires may not be everyone's cup of tea at 1400g each unless lift assisted riding or chunky rock riding in the mountains is on the agenda. But, even without the tires it is a great deal and one could run some other meat that doesn't have such a large rolling resistance penalty (and sell the Kodiaks on eBay).

It 'tis the season for deals to take advantage of the off-season demand being low and the economy still being a reality. Last year at this time was equally, if not better, to score.

BB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me also say thank you for the input and advice some are giving here, although I think it is pushinpixels that recommended a nice machine, but the price is something I don't think the wife will allow.

I was looking at the Red Line website and have been talking to a shop on the Pennsylvania forum. I don't have prices yet but there are 2 bikes that I seem to go for, and that is their 660/600 models. I'm still new so I don't want to spend too much at this to start. Anyone have any feedback on these models or anyone own one?

Thank you for your assistance and Happy Holiday everyone.

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
MountainbikerTrek said:
Let me also say thank you for the input and advice some are giving here, although I think it is pushinpixels that recommended a nice machine, but the price is something I don't think the wife will allow.

I was looking at the Red Line website and have been talking to a shop on the Pennsylvania forum. I don't have prices yet but there are 2 bikes that I seem to go for, and that is their 660/600 models. I'm still new so I don't want to spend too much at this to start. Anyone have any feedback on these models or anyone own one?

Thank you for your assistance and Happy Holiday everyone.

Wow you guys sure have torn up some expensive bikes! I just wanted to say a word about the Redline bikes. I bought a Monogog 29er six months ago. It is a 21" frame as I was 280lbs. at the time and I replaced the knobby tires with Schwalbe Big Apples so I could ride it on payment. My purpose for buying the bike was not to use it as a mountain bike but as a workout bike. In six months I have lost 60 lbs and I love that bike.

Now to the point about broken frames. as I stated on another forum any machine will break if it is put through enough punishment. I was lambasted because one poster claimed that my position was not valid as my 29er was not in the same class as one being ridden down the side of a mountain. This is true, however never the less it is a 29er and as I pointed out there it too would break if it were put through enough punishment. I believe that the steel 29ers hold up much better than the aluminum frames. Just how many of those broken frames were aluminum?

For the money that Monocog 29er is a great bike for a big rider and if you did break the frame after the one warranty a new frame is only $250 bucks new! Just my opinion!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I took the plunge and purchased a Red Line D600 today from the gentleman I was dealing with in Pennsylvania. He gave a real good price and they did have the frame size I needed, although he did have to order it from the factory.

He had one sitting there for another customer I was able to at least get a look at it, although the shop was so good at taking care of me I probably would have bought it sight unseen. Since it's my first ever "29er" he talked me down from the more expensive model until I'm sure it's what I really want.

Thank You all for your help. Maybe I will get into that much more sophisticated bike in the future.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took the plunge also and ordered an Epic Comp 29er. Might be a while getting it, though. Spec told the dealer Feb.

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
Congrats Bob and Mtnbiker trek,,

I think you will like that bike. I researched the Redline bike line before I bought my Monocog and they have one of the best reputations of any of the bike lines.

I have also noted that there are fewer Redline bikes sold on Craigslist than any of the far more expensive bikes. They also a hugh array of competition throphies, also more so than many of the more expensive lines so all that has to speak very highly of their line of products.

Good luck and good cycling!

Blazerwolf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts