Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some 2.1 Continental Vapor tires for a very cheap price at Cambria. Man, they must be 1.8-1.9 at best! Wow, what a skinny tire.

I wonder what happened. Does Continental have a funny way of sizing tires and they all run small?

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is a good mud tire. The traction is great, and they are indeed very skinny. I'm used to much bigger tires now, but My buddy was out on his singlespeed today bragging about how much he liked the tire.

These lasted a long time for him, but they are gator skin. I don't know how long they will last without the tougher sidewall. He's been on them for 3 seasons of winter SS riding.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mvi said:
Is the Cambria Continental Vapor tire wire bead or foldable?
Wire. Could have sworn they were kevlar when I ordered them but I re-read the description on the Cambria site and they are indeed wire. I don't really care as I used a 25% coupon and it only cost me roughly $11.25 each. Bought 4, they will be great for a training tire or fire road tire.

Interesting: The casing says 28x2.1 but fits a WTB 29er rim without any problem. Never seen a 28" tire before.

This is a crappy pic, but comparing sizes, in the back is a Kenda Karma 2.2 on a Rhyno Lite, middle is the Continental Vapor 2.1 on a WTB Lefty wheel and the front wheel is a 2.1 IRC Mythos on a Mavic 819.

It's interesting that the Continental has the appearance of looking like it falls half way between a 29er and a 26er when mounted.

Don't know if it would work in a cyclocross bike. It damn near has the width of a Mythos 2.1, what it lacks is the volume. The casing does not have much height to it. If you look at the photo, you can see that it has less volume(vertical) than even the Mythos 2.1 26er tire.

·
Registered
483 Posts
apacherider said:
Picked up some 2.1 Continental Vapor tires for a very cheap price at Cambria. Man, they must be 1.8-1.9 at best! Wow, what a skinny tire.

I wonder what happened. Does Continental have a funny way of sizing tires and they all run small?
I bought some vapors for dirt cheap too and they say 28in. but I run them on my 29er?

·
Registered
643 Posts
"29er" hoops are really 28". Thus all "29er" tires are 28xwhatever.

I can't believe someone thinks these are good mud tires. They are not at all. I bought a pair two years ago and they've lived in a closet after a month of riding. My Spec Contol 2.0's are wider. And the Vapor's have thin sidewalls for being over 700grams. I tore one but was able to get it warrantied.

Rad Rider 415 said:
I bought some vapors for dirt cheap too and they say 28in. but I run them on my 29er?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just bought one for my Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike to use on the front wheel (doesn't fit the rear) so far, so good. I am looking for a good 700x35c rear tire that will be compatible. Thinking that the "Excavator" CX would work well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.