Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has a Fisher 293 or 292, go grab the top of your rear wheel/tire and move it side-to-side. Can you see the top of the wheel and your chainstays flex back-and-forth? I got a 2004 293 in October and only got to ride it a few times before the snow came here in Montana. When I rode it, it felt like the spring rate in the fork was way too high, so I fiddled with the air preload, but it never seemed right. The bike felt very nervous, so I got to inspecting the bike, thinking maybe the spokes weren't tentioned right or something and noticed the flex in the rear end. When I grab the rear tire like I described, it seems like the chain/seatstays flex 3/8", sounds weird, but it sure looks like it. I tried some old shimano skewers and that seemed to firm things up a bit but something seems wrong here. The pivot is tight and nothing seems broken or "not right" with the stays so :confused: ? Any help would be appreciated. Hey, 100th post, too!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup

I have owned two 293's. I noticed the same "nervous feeling with them and always thought I had flexy rear wheels. Then I tried the same wheelset on a hardtail and WHOA what a difference. No more lateral flex. I think the Sugars are inherently flexy in the rear due to the construction - carbon seatstays with no brace above the rear tire like other designs.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the bikes - a very plush ride but squishy. I think I'm too heavy for them. Just too much side to side action. The ventana is much more laterally rigid and I imagine the Titus and Lenz would be too. But you have to pay as much for a frame as you would for a whole Sugar!

·
Registered
891 Posts
The original design of the Sugars carbon stays was to allow for flex. Im just wondering if this is really a good idea or not. My 26er Sugars feel the same way and I would think that the longer 29er stays would exasperate it. Im also wondering if this may be the cause of the Sugars well known chainsuck problems. Do you guys with the 29ers have any problem with chainsuck??

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Flex?

I in the process of rebuilding my 293 from a season of riding and racing, so I tried the flex experiment. I fastened a dial indicator to the seat tube of my 293 and measured the flex. I could only attain 1/32 of inch in flex, if that. This is from both seat stays.

My set up:

1. 2004 293 front traingle
2. 2003 293 rear swing arm
3. Sybil link with suspension at 4.1" setting
4. Rock Shox Ario w/lock out
5. Bontrager Race rear wheel
6. Sram skewer
7. All linkage bolts tightened to Trek's required torque

I would check all the pivot bolts and bushing for significant wear. Also, check for any cracks in the front triangle at the welds. Inspect the carbon seatstays for cracks, especially at the bonded aluminum lugs.

----Chad

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Fisty said:
The original design of the Sugars carbon stays was to allow for flex. Im just wondering if this is really a good idea or not. My 26er Sugars feel the same way and I would think that the longer 29er stays would exasperate it. Im also wondering if this may be the cause of the Sugars well known chainsuck problems. Do you guys with the 29ers have any problem with chainsuck??
No chain suck at all. Of course I'm very careful not to shift the front under load. I would think the 29ers would be better with regards to chainsuck because the chainstays are longer and thus the chain isn't angled sideways as much. I think that chain suck is pretty much due to the chainrings and lack of lube on the chain rather than the frame having any affect on it.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Check hub bearings?

Sounds a bit like loose hub bearings to me. I had this happen with my 26 sugar and it just required a hub tightening. Just a guess of course.
G

·
Registered
392 Posts
definetly check the pivot areas! especilly in the shock region. also grab a pen light and check the top tube where the shock brace is welded to the tube. make sure the bike is clean in this area. you'll want it clean to inspect for cracks on the bead of the weld.i have seen five to six frames fail in this area....as have most people....

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The first thing I checked was the pivot bolts, then the shock bolts, then the hub. I'll check all the joints and welds again, but the flex really seems to be coming from the stays themselves. Oh well, I guess that's encouragement to step up to a El Cap or Sycip fs frame...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts