Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for threads like this, but I didn't find anything...

Anyway, I'm just wondering if an Suger owners can comment on the difference between the 2 models including the extra cost of the 292. Does anybody think it is worth it to pay more for the 292?

Thanks.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:

Anyway, I'm just wondering if an Suger owners can comment on the difference between the 2 models including the extra cost of the 292. Does anybody think it is worth it to pay more for the 292?

Thanks.
It's the same frame and fork (give or take the remote lockout.

Benifit of my experience: Question you have to ask yourself is if you'd be happy with stock equipment of either. If you're going to replace very many of hte parts, definatly go 293. If you're going to keep it bone stock, consider the 292.

·
Registered
790 Posts
'05 293

I like the stock wheels a lot on my 293. I weigh 225 and ride lots of roots, rocks, and waterbars. They're holding up very well so far. I've had a lot of fun shopping for cool parts with all the money I might have spent on a 292...

I'm not saying the 292 is a bad deal, either, but the 293 is real good.

I

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you need a medium I'll sell you my 292. It's an 03 frame that's never been ridden with an 04 MX Comp air that's never been ridden, King ISO hubs, supercomp spokes and bonty disc rims, all of which have never been ridden. The rear shock is a DT SSD210L, also never ridden. It's built up with full XTR 960 (i guess it's got an XT 760 front der, but close enough) with about 200 miles on it.Email me if you're interested to talk price. evilbiz37 AT aol.com

Sorry for the spam, I'll post the ad after work tomorrow.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Stock?

My '04 293 didn't come with the Avid discs, so you are ahead there, with the '05, as well as with the Reba fork. I had an '03 Paragon and it came with the same bonti race wheels as my 293 has. They have been pretty amazing for durability: ridden really hard by a 220# 6'3" guy, not bad for 28 spokes. I just did have a failure of the rear rim. It tore in the brake track area, parallel to it, and these rims have never had pads against them. Pretty freak failure, no one at my LBS has ever seen anything like it. They are going to try to get Fisher to cover this issue, even though I am "out of warranty", since it is such a freaky failure that points to a material issue ( inclusion/void? - I'm a manufacturing engineer and it does happen).

Since the '05 has disc only rims you have no machined brake track area to split. I'm sure that the machining of the brake track set up a stress riser for the tear to start at.

I went to '99 lx 5arm cranks so I can run 20-30-42 rings and correct for the bigger wheels.
This bike will climb like mad in either the 20 or 30 front rings.

The one real performance advantage that the Marz MX Pro fork has is a lock DOWN feature that really helps keep the ft. tire on the ground on the really steep pitches. I'm gonna miss that when I upgrade the fork.

Other than the above changes the rest were ergo: extra long Thudbuster, Thompson stem, EA70 risers all to fit my freakish frame (36.5" legs). Other than the crankset the drive train is all stock and has been awsome.

Sorry Biz, but I cannot recommend your '03 frame as they had a lot more failures than the later frames and our thread starter would have no lifetime warranty as a second owner.

29erchico

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
As for 05 292 vs 293:
Do they come booth with the same rear propedal shock ?
Is really the only difference between the forks the lockout ? (can it be aded later ?)

What is the price of a new frame + reba in the US ?

29erchico :
Do you use a L or XL frame ?
What is your size and the length of your stem ?
Have you got pics of your build ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
29erchico said:
Sorry Biz, but I cannot recommend your '03 frame as they had a lot more failures than the later frames and our thread starter would have no lifetime warranty as a second owner.

29erchico
I'd agree, except I never registered the frame so he'd be the original owner as far as the guys at Fisher are concerned. Being a shop guy who never has to worry about getting his stuff warrantied has its upside ;)

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
I did the math and the 293 was the right bike (for me)

Wish I Were Riding said:

Thanks.
I personally knew that I was going to swap out most of the parts (cranks, stem, post, wheelset, cassette etc..) I also wanted a black frame and the 293 was way cheaper (no brainer for me). However it you are going to keep it bone stock the 292 may get a slight nod.

Both killer bikes at a great price.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
20.100 FR said:
As for 05 292 vs 293:
1) Do they come booth with the same rear propedal shock ?
2) Is really the only difference between the forks the lockout ? (can it be aded later ?)
3) What is the price of a new frame + reba in the US ?
1) I think so

2) I think so & probably, but not necc to me

3) I don't even know if they offer a frame, but a REBA can be had for 450 or so. Figure even if they did offer the frame it would be 8-900. At that point, buying a whole bike would be much better.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:

Thanks.
I have an '05 292. Initially, I thought that the 292 wasn't worth the extra $$ over the 293. The 293 does not weigh significantly more than the 292. The one thing I think I would miss would be the Poploc Adjust for the front fork. However do not know if just reaching down on the fork leg to flip a lever to lockout the fork would be all that much of a bother. The frames and shocks are identical between the frames. The Avid mechanicals are probably more reliable than the Hayes hydros on the 292. The X0 rear derailler on the 292 isn't worth the extra $. The 292 wheels are a little better. I still think the $800 price difference is a too much between the two bikes.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
MikeDee said:
I have an '05 292. Initially, I thought that the 292 wasn't worth the extra $$ over the 293.

The Avid mechanicals are probably more reliable than the Hayes hydros on the 292.

The X0 rear derailler on the 292 isn't worth the extra $.

The 292 wheels are a little better.

I still think the $800 price difference is a too much between the two bikes.
The differences are:

fork (poploc versus non-PL)
wheels
cassette
front drlr
rear drlr
shifters
cranks
brakes
brake levers
chain
stem
bars
skewers
color

For only 750 difference in retails, I think the 292 is the better value.

All that being said, as a 292 owner, if I had it to do over, I'd get the 293. Reason being that I removed all the stock parts and replaced. The resale of the stock parts doesn't come anywhere close to 750. Closer to about 400...bontrager parts do not re-sale well, except for the wheels.

Bottom line: if you've got upgrade-itis, buy the 293, if you will run it stock, buy the 292.

I don't think the avid mech's are more reliable than the Hayes, esp after MikeC rode them maintence free from Canada to Mexico.

·
2,818 Posts
How much are the stock wheels offf of a 292 worth? I've got a 292 on the way and might part those out if they are boat anchors...along w/ the Hayes hydros in favor of Magura SL's.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
stock 292 wheels boat anchors?

Not really, they have 460 gram bonti disc only rims w/ 28 DB spokes and DT Swiss hubs.
Pretty nice wheelset.

But if you must part with them, hit me up, I'm interested.

29erchico

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
2melow said:
How much are the stock wheels offf of a 292 worth? I've got a 292 on the way and might part those out if they are boat anchors...along w/ the Hayes hydros in favor of Magura SL's.
if brand new, figure upper 3's to 400.

New take off Hayes, figure 120-140.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
ncj01 said:
1) I think so

2) I think so & probably, but not necc to me

3) I don't even know if they offer a frame, but a REBA can be had for 450 or so. Figure even if they did offer the frame it would be 8-900. At that point, buying a whole bike would be much better.
How much does your bike weigh? My 292 is (if I can recall) about 29 lbs. How can I take some weight off?

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
That might not work...

Biz said:
I'd agree, except I never registered the frame so he'd be the original owner as far as the guys at Fisher are concerned. Being a shop guy who never has to worry about getting his stuff warrantied has its upside ;)
I bought a GF Mt Tam that was nearly new. The previous owner never sent in the owner registration card. So I did. When I discovered that the OSB rim had been assembled BACKWARD (offset toward, instead of away from, the drive side), I tried to get a Fisher dealer to warranty it. They wouldn't because I couldn't provide proof of purchase. The fact that it was registered in my name seemed to carry no weight at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.