Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm leaving in a few days to head to Scottsdale, AZ for a yearly riding trip. I had ordered a set of Resolutions for my Raliegh XXIX and they did not show up this week. Spent some time today calling around, and no local shops have them in... Hmmmm... I was thinking of taking 2 bikes since I have some room in the vehicle, and figgered the big wheel bike would be fun at McDowell Mtn. Only thing is, I am not sure how the Exiwolf tires will work in the sandy conditions there. Any experience out there on this? If the reports are that they suck, I may leave the XXIX at home and just ride the full-susser 26" :eek:(

Thanks!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I did one pre-race lap over sandy soil with front Exi once. It held well in the looser corners, but I'd advise to just buy a front Bontrager XR, best sand tire I know. Similar volume, lower weight, directional knobs, decent rolling resistance. It competes with the very best 26" tires I know for sand, the wider and lighter Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.35 as well as Racing Ralph 2.4. The XR though is much cheaper, even here in Europe.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Really?

mtnbykr©™ said:
in the n wisconsin sand, the exi's work well. i can ride right thru the sand pits, no problem. best sand tire i know.
There's sand, and then there's sand.......but I have found the Exi to be the worst 29"er tire in the river bottom sand we have around here. Washes out and doesn't carry through like the others I have tried.

I'm with Cloxxki here on this one, Bontrager XR's are the best at rolling up on top and floating over the sand than any other 29"er tire I've tried so far. I'm hoping the new WTB Weir wolf LT's will be as good in this regard, but I haven't had a chance to check into that yet, being it's winter and all.

I'm headed to El Paso, TX in March, so I'd be interested in what others say for a Desert South West type of sand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For the soft sugar sand found here in South Florida the Exi's are decent in my experience. I have not tried the Bontrager XR's but I am going to look into them. Currently running the Rampages and they are very good.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Riding on very soft, loose, beach type sand is all about casing volume and air pressure. You need float. Knobs aren't too important, in fact a lack of knobs is sometimes better.

I would expect the Exiwolf and XR to both work well in sand. The best would be Surly Endomorphs or Remolino Sand Tires (not 700c) followed by WTB Weirwolfs or Schwalbe Big Apples.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
We have some weird sand drifts here in the Netherlands, like tiny desert valleys. When these are just not at their dryest, I can ride them much like anyone can deep mud. Even take turns at will.
I tried a front Weirwolf on a single ride, where I encountered some inland dune downhills that were pretty loose. There was some instability, but of course great float. First impression was that the XR handles sand at speed (it was steep) better.

[OT]
Talking about sand, I'm trying to build up courage and motivation to shave all knobs competely off a Weirwolf, and then test whether it's worth repeating. For beach racing. Volume after all is close or equal to the Big Apple 2.35's I've been using the past years, but the knobbed folding WW is in the 800g's, the BA is just under 1000g. Mostly a job for the heck of it, as weight and rolling resistance can also be saved with this trick on the BA which has substantial amounts of rubber.
[/OT]

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had limited use of the Exi here in the lower desert of AZ, it works well. But I don't have enough miles to give any in depth review, or can compare it to anything else.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies - sounds like they tires ought to work fine. I used to live in San Diego, and spent much time riding the desert of Anza Borrego and other spots, but since I relocated 9 years ago to Nor Cal, I don't see much extended sand riding, and even there, only in a couple of spots! My question was not related to knob size as much as just the profile of the tire is a bit round, but with the mix of rocks and larger-grained sand in AZ, I'll take the bike as it is and likely enjoy myself!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The Exiwolfs should work fine for you.

So you drank the kool aid???

We are doing the pinyon mine loop next week.

Ever make it down to socal anymore?

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
There's sand, and then there's sand.......but I have found the Exi to be the worst 29"er tire in the river bottom sand we have around here. Washes out and doesn't carry through like the others I have tried.

dunno how much river bottom sand the camba trails have but....

during the chequamegon race last year i could ride, under power, thru the sand pits w/o any troubles. not so w/ other bikes and other 29's w/ different tires. might be my savage riding skills or the fact that I think these tires work good in sandy soils.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps the grain size of the sand matters with these tires. If the river-bottom sand is really fine, silt-like stuff, that is very different from what I'll be in while in AZ. More heavier-grained, broken-down-rock stuff. We'll see! I have zillions of sand miles in, and actually like to ride it. Just been such a long time... I used to run a Specialized 2.2 Hardpack in the front, with the original 1.95 Ground Control as my favorite "Sand Combo". IRC Racers in a 2.125 worked well too! Last year on my 26" bike I was using a 2.5 Weirwolf in front with a 2.4 Ritchey Motovader in back. That rocked. I have 2.25" Trailbears on the Ransom, and will try them - should be fine - they seem to work pretty well everywhere. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
ATBScott said:
Perhaps the grain size of the sand matters with these tires. If the river-bottom sand is really fine, silt-like stuff, that is very different from what I'll be in while in AZ. More heavier-grained, broken-down-rock stuff. We'll see! I have zillions of sand miles in, and actually like to ride it. Just been such a long time... I used to run a Specialized 2.2 Hardpack in the front, with the original 1.95 Ground Control as my favorite "Sand Combo". IRC Racers in a 2.125 worked well too! Last year on my 26" bike I was using a 2.5 Weirwolf in front with a 2.4 Ritchey Motovader in back. That rocked. I have 2.25" Trailbears on the Ransom, and will try them - should be fine - they seem to work pretty well everywhere. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Nice blast from the past. ;) I'm also a fan of the Hardpack 2.2 and Ground Control 1.95 and was using them occasionally up until about a year ago. My favorite 26" sand tires are probably a Hutchinson Mosquito 2.3 front and a Continental Comp Pro 1 rear, but just about every 29" tire is better in sand.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey all, Thanks for the earlier replies and advice. The 2.3" Exiwolfs worked pretty darn well in the AZ sand and rocks. Got in a nice workout chasing a fast buddy of mine around the "Long loop" at McDowell, followed by a couple more laps of the sport loop. Other than a couple of hand/wrist stingers from smacking things on a rigid bike (been riding suspension too long!) the bike rocked. Went totally anerobic on the rocky climb out of South Wash onto the ridge, but had a blast. Looking forward to getting a few more rides in on the bike here once it starts to dry out well again. No dirt for me tomorrow, as I will work the Tour of Calif. Prologue, but that will be fun too (even if it rains!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.