Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

I am trying to decide on which wheelset to buy to my 29 Epic comp carbon FS.

I weigh around 80 kilogram/175lb and
will use the wheels for normal XC riding on single tracks a couple of times a week and the occasional races 5-6 times a year.

I would like the wheels to be lighter and a real upgrade from the stock Roval 29 with Hi-Lo hubs that came with the Epic - but I don't want a super-light but fragile wheelset, that needs fixing after every other ride..

I am looking at a couple of alternatives in the 1000 USD range (listed below)

I am really tempted to buy the wheelset with the DTSwiss 240 hubs, since they come highly recommend everywhere I look online, but the set is listed with a weight limit of 80kg, which might be a little to fragile for my weight?

Any advice is welcome - also suggestions regarding other combinations.

Kind regards
Christian

DT Swiss 240s hub
American Classic 101 rim
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
1.445gr
r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-29-DT-Swiss-240s-AmericanClassic-101_1

Hope Pro II Evo 40T
American Classic 101
Sapim CX-Ray
1.590g
r2-bike.com/Wheelset-29-Hope-Pro-II-Evo-...1-Sapim-CX-Ray-1590g

American Classic 130/225
American Classic 101
unknown spokes?
1440gr.

r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-29-American-Classic-130-225-101-Felge_1

Mavic Crossmax ST 29
1716gr
www.bike-components.de/products/info/p32...5&xtmcl=crossmax

·
Registered
110 Posts
The DT240 hub is fine, my friend is 195lbs and has not had issues. I suggest you consider the Chinese Carbon rims instead of the American Classic:

Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

That said, I also suggest a look at a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR, MSRP 999, great wheel to buy used for $5-600. Only thing I don't like on SLR's is the 19mm internal diameter rim, though strong it doesn't posture the tire as well as a wider rim meaning higher PSI is required and handling/rollover characteristics aren't as good.

26 inch & 650b wheels - Crossmax SLR : wheels Moutain Bike | Mavic

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi forum,

I am trying to decide on which wheelset to buy to my 29 Epic comp carbon FS.

I weigh around 80 kilogram/175lb and
will use the wheels for normal XC riding on single tracks a couple of times a week and the occasional races 5-6 times a year.

I would like the wheels to be lighter and a real upgrade from the stock Roval 29 with Hi-Lo hubs that came with the Epic - but I don't want a super-light but fragile wheelset, that needs fixing after every other ride..

I am looking at a couple of alternatives in the 1000 USD range (listed below)

I am really tempted to buy the wheelset with the DTSwiss 240 hubs, since they come highly recommend everywhere I look online, but the set is listed with a weight limit of 80kg, which might be a little to fragile for my weight?

Any advice is welcome - also suggestions regarding other combinations.

Kind regards
Christian

DT Swiss 240s hub
American Classic 101 rim
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
1.445gr
r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-29-DT-Swiss-240s-AmericanClassic-101_1

Hope Pro II Evo 40T
American Classic 101
Sapim CX-Ray
1.590g
r2-bike.com/Wheelset-29-Hope-Pro-II-Evo-...1-Sapim-CX-Ray-1590g

American Classic 130/225
American Classic 101
unknown spokes?
1440gr.

r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-29-American-Classic-130-225-101-Felge_1

Mavic Crossmax ST 29
1716gr
www.bike-components.de/products/info/p32...5&xtmcl=crossmax
Crankbrother Iodines are great. Disregard the bad press you see on the forums. First year product had a hub issue. Updated product is bullet proof IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@miksen : i'm from Denmark, and ended up buying from actionsports.de - a german site, which offers custom build wheel sets at reasonable prices.
i would think they ship world wide. I paid 650 euro (900 USD) for the set. Christian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.