Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mtbr users.

I'm new in all of this 29" stuff, but I've desided over x-mas that I'll give the big wheels a go. I've already decided that I'm going to get at Niner Air 9 (don't know if i'll get the carbon one tho) but I've got major problems desiding wich wheels to get. I'm all XC and a bit of a WW. Price is not a great issue, but no more than 800 USD if possible.

What to buy :madman:

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Drea said:
Hi mtbr users.

I'm new in all of this 29" stuff, but I've desided over x-mas that I'll give the big wheels a go. I've already decided that I'm going to get at Niner Air 9 (don't know if i'll get the carbon one tho) but I've got major problems desiding wich wheels to get. I'm all XC and a bit of a WW. Price is not a great issue, but no more than 800 USD if possible.

What to buy :madman:
Stan's Arches on DT Swiss Comp spokes, with the hub of your choice... Hadleys, Chris Kings, or DT Swiss 240S. If you are a clyde over 200 #'s, go with StansFlows, not Arches. Edit: 165 #'s go with the 355's if you ride smooth and pick clean lines, Arches if you make some mistakes along the way, they are quite a bit more foregiving, without too great a weight penalty.

·
Registered
385 Posts
azjonboy said:
1600 for a 29er wheelset is pretty light.
:rolleyes: Yep....the closest I found on Stan's wheel weight calculator was 1520g using the 355 rim....the AC tubeless rim is 28mm wide and 20mm tall and looks to be much stronger...but thats just speculation....althought I will have a set of these at my door anyday now:cool:

but the OP being 165lbs...weight is more an issue than strenght I'm guessing.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From looking at them the rims looks heavy, I would rather have a heavy hub, than a heavy rim? This in mind. Wouldn't a light rim as the ZTR and a hub like CK, Hope or DT be more sensible?

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Drea said:
Haha, well yes but it's the same thing on my 26"! :) What about spokes?
More Editing... I see you are from Denmark, maybe a view of Chain Reaction bicycles online, in the UK would be closer and shipping more reasonable. In that case, rims would be the same, but build it with the DT Swiss 240S hubs, which should be just tits for your application.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
DT Swiss 240 Hubs (You can find some for a good price these days) The new Crest Rims from Stan & Sapim Spokes...Sub 1450 Grams should take care of your Weenie Ways. I'm building up the same ones. Just don't go and throw heavy tires on there:thumbsup:

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
bontrager rhythm rims (28h) laced to dt wiss 240 hubs with tlr strips and valves.....very light and bomber!!!

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
AC MTB29er is stiffer!

One thing I've noticed is my AC MTB29er wheel set has 3/8" shorter spokes than my AC/Stans 355 set. This is due to the taller profile of the AC rim. I've noticed a significant difference in the flex between the sets.

I use the 355's on my Orbea Alma 29er Race Rig and use the AC MTB29er on my Racer-X 29er... I use the Racer-X for more technical terrain and it seems to prefer the stiffer wheels.

Anyone else notice this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.